Main road

~SKYE POV~

As I walk away from Ansel, a small part of me wants him to run after me. I want him to grab me and tell me that he chooses me.

But, when I turn around, he's nowhere to be seen.

I come across the main road that I cross everyday to get to my apartment.

As I wait, I begin to go back to my way of thinking before I met Ansel.

It probably started when I was 13. I don't remember much but I remember thinking I was useless and no one would care if I didn't wake up the next morning. I remember a day when I was sitting in English and my eyes filled with tears because I knew everyone in the room was thinking about the work, or their friends or what they were gonna do after school but all I could think about was how i'd much rather be on top of a tall building about to jump. You see, not a lot of people see underneath the surface of schools, they don't see the stress, anxiety and the pure suffering of some.

I used to suffer in silence until one time, told my bestfriend 'I want to kill myself.' but she didn't believe me. And I never mentioned how I felt to anyone again.
But there was this one girl who used to see right through me. She tried so hard to get me to open up to her but I never did. One time, she wrote something about me and put it into my locker it said; 'There's a girl in class, she sits in the middle on the right side, and she laughs when something's funny, and she smiles when she talks to you, and you look her in the eyes, though they don't look like the eyes of someone who's smiling.' And I couldn't believe how true it was. I still never opened up to her or anyone else...Until I met Ansel. And he's not mine anymore.

I feel like I'm 13 again, sad and lonely. As I approach the road, suddenly, I realise something: no one would even question if I didn't look both ways while crossing the road.
With that, I step into the road.

A horn blares and I turn around quick enough to see a truck flying towards me, I do something I didn't anticipate, I throw myself back onto the pavement.