Under the sakura tree

Irie Shouichi X Fem!Reader

Promises made, are meant to be kept. Breaking it, would be breaking one's heart.

Love, was never an easy thing for you. Despite having the best personality and appearance, your luck on meeting the right one was the worst. Tears bubbled to your eyes as you stared at him. "W-what did you say?" His golden brown hair swayed along with the wind as his fringes covered his guilt filled eyes. His lips parted and closed, as if in attempt to make up an excuse. "Look, it's over between us." Closing his eyes he forced out a smirk. "There's no point in staying with a girl who is so fake." Tears rolled out of your eyes in shock and terror. His green woolen sweater shifted as he turned to face the tree beside him. His woolen sweater that you knitted for him for christmas.

A woman slowly walked out from behind the tree and hooked her arms with him and gave you a sneer. Her face was caked with make up and festooned on her curvy body was branded clothing and accessories. Why couldn't he see past all of that, that she is the fake one? Harsh words were thrown continuously at you as you stood there silently, blocking the world out. When both of them had their share of insulting you, they walked away haughtily. Slowly falling to your knees, you remained in that position for hours before leaning back on the tree.

Pink petals littered the grounds around you as you stared emotionlessly and blankly at the small lake in front of where you were sitting. Empty, and helpless just like the sakura petals that fell from the tree. No one is there to catch them as they fall. Pitiful things. At least the ground was there for you. You let out a bitter chuckle at your dark sense of humor as you looked up and continue watching the small petals fall as the tears continue to stream slowly out.

As the petals dance in the wind helplessly, one fell short and landed on a ginger nest. Focusing your view, you realized that the what you called a "nest" was a boy's ginger red hair. Within the moment where you were trying to remember who this person was, his hair became the nest for dozens more petals.

"Shou-kun?" You stared blankly at your childhood friend as he slowly approached you. Your eyes were red and puffy from the long duration of crying. Your throat was sore and your voice lost the usual cheerfulness. Attempting to wipe away any tears on your face which was not much use since your face was already stained with the tears that rolled before in its path, you struggled to remain eye contact with him before turning away. It's hard, really. Every time you met with a boy that caught your eye, he would always be the one to remind you about your previous love experiences.With just a wave of a hand each time, you would brush it off like it never happened. Just so happens, that each and every time you went into a relationship, he was right. Settling down his bag and sitting beside you, he sighed tiredly. Irie Shouichi was a genius in your eyes. Smart, adorable looking, and also the best listener you have had since you were young despite him being bullied sometimes. It's a pity, really, that he only sees you as his younger sister.

Every moment you spent with him was a time of ease, and comfort. He has never once complained a single thing to you in his life, not adding on to any of your troubles. Turning your head slightly to stare at his face, your eyes softened and you tackled him into a hug. In an instant, he turned into a stuttering and blushing mess as he was thrown to the side and landed on his arm. "<N-name>...?" Looking up at him from your position at his chest, you tilted your head at him before hugging him a little tighter and snuggling closer to him. Soft sobs escaped you as you felt a warm, comforting hand rub your back gently and soothingly, and another patting your head softly in attempts to comfort you. Closing your eyes and taking deep breaths, you slowly fell asleep in the warm embrace of your childhood friend.

After a while, there was complete silence with the exceptions of two steady breathing, and the calming wind. Irie sighed softly as his hand movements dulled to a halt. He looked up at the beautiful evening sky before taking a deep breath. You were more than a sister to him, but he could tell that you only saw him as your elder brother. He loved being around you, he wanted to protect you, and all he wanted to do every time when you were crying was just to hold you tightly in his arms, telling you that everything will be alright. He never did. You were always the one who initiated the first step. And he wants to change it. Looking down at your sleeping form, his eyes softened. "I won't let you get hurt again. I won't let you get a chance to get hurt again. Even if you will never know of how I feel for you, or even if you don't accept me... I'll always be by your side to protect you. I- I love you, <Name>."

Looking at the gentle smile upon your lips, his heart melted. He'd wait by your side till the very end no matter what. Or at least till he had gathered up enough courage to repeat that the next time when you were awake. He promised that to himself. That he would never abandon you. That you would never be left alone again. That he will always love you. As the dark blue spilled across the sky and night slowly crept over to cover the darkening orange, another gentle gust of wind blew and the sakura petals were once again sent spiraling down around the both of you. Shaking his head, he changed his mind. He don't want to make that promise. He wanted to swear to his words. To the last petal that slowly drifted down onto his outstretched hand. To the sakura tree that he was leaning against. Under the sakura tree, where the both of you first met.