Chapter two: Welcome home

Max's six AM alarm echoed around the small bedroom, not that she needed it as she had barely slept a wink all night. By the time her dad knocked on the door to collect her bags Max had been awake for hours packing and repacking her suitcase making sure she had everything, she didn't remember buying any new clothes but somehow the bags seemed much smaller than when she left Hawkins.

The journey was long and boring but as the small car trundled into Hawkins Max sat up eagerly, watching the town flash by in a blur. The sun had begun to set and the streets basked in golden light as Max quickly took her bags from the car to the front door, waving goodbye to her dad, she knocked on the door impatiently tapping her foot on the ground in anxiety. After a few minutes, Mrs Mayfield swung open the door with a tired smile and pulled Max into a tight hug.

Walking down the hallway towards the stairs, Max noticed the house was much more disorganised than she remembered and that there was a significant lack of noise that would normally echo through the entire house;

"Where's Billy?" she asked, turning to face her mother.

"He's gone" she hesitated "You're stepfather he...they had a disagreement and he left, I don't know where he is" her voice wavered as if she was unsure of her words.

"Oh" Max looked down at her feet, she felt almost upset which was strange because she was certain she hated Billy more than anyone. Shrugging the uneasy feeling away, she started dragging her bags up the stairs ignoring all the signs that something obviously wasn't quite right.

A few minutes later, Max had dumped her suitcases in her bedroom and pedalled quickly to the mall, anxious not to miss her friends. The cool breeze hit her face and her ginger curls were swept back messily in the wind, how she'd missed this place – being back had brought back a feeling Max thought she would never find again.

She locked her bike in the parking lot and checked her watch 6:25 or as El would say, six-two-five. Max had never really cared about the way she looked but as the clock hand ticked further towards half past she found herself adjusting and readjusting her hair over and over, as if that even mattered. Suddenly a loud laugh diverted her attention to a small group making their way through the car park who Max almost immediately recognised as the party. Panicking she ducked behind a car as the group stopped just in front of where she was a second earlier.

She watched as Lucas checked his watch impatiently and sighed "I told you he'd be late Dustin, why didn't we just cycle?" he complained, everyone except Dustin groaned in agreement "If he's not here in five minutes I swear to god - we'll just walk home, won't we El?" Mike suggested turning to El. Max saw her smile back up at him and squeeze his hand in agreement, max rolled her eyes and stood up.

"Who are we waiting for again?" she asked, standing just behind Lucas and Dustin who were in the middle of a heated debate about how long it takes to cycle home. Both of them jumped in shock as they heard her voice which was soon followed by a frenzy of cursing and then "welcome home!"s as the rest of the party realised what was happening.

As soon as she saw Max, El's eyes lit up, she shook herself free of Mike's grasp and flung herself into Max's arms "I'm so happy you're home" she exclaimed excitedly taking hold of Max's hands and swinging her around in circles, laughing hysterically. Pushing each other out of the way, Dustin, Will and Lucas hugged her while Mike just ruffled her hair up, patted her on the shoulders and said "glad to have you back Mayfield" with a mischievous smile.