Chapter 12

"I'm really, really sorry," Karyn apologized profusely. At her bidding, Gates had stormed out of Green, Green & Becket, headed to God knows where and leaving the intended interview in shambles in the wake of his exit. Karyn explained, "He's just been a little wound up since his partner disappeared."

"Well then you should carry a leash for him or at least keep him away from my client," Wayne announced. "I should report him to your superiors."

"Don't worry, Mr. Perkins, it will be handled," the agent assured, an intent look in her eyes.

"It better be," he threatened ominously.

Karyn turned to Shakira, "Again, I'm really sorry,"

"It's okay," Shakira said even though it was anything but okay. Gates' accusations had shaken her. Being accused of killing Charlie was one thing, but Rochelle and Fenton, Gates' former partner, was ridiculous.

Okay, so she hated Rochelle and probably would've slapped the shit out of her if she met her on the street - but kill her? Shakira wasn't that stupid. Of course she'd be the first suspect. As for Fenton, before today Shakira hadn't even known what an FBI agent looked like so why in the world would she know anything about the man's disappearance a few days before Charlie had repaid her.

It was absurd.

Gates didn't have the right to make such claims, especially when he had no bodies to back them up.

Once Karyn left the office, Wayne released a deep gush of breath as he dropped on the couch next to Shakira. "I'm sorry I put you in that situation." He turned to her with a pained expression. "They said it was just some routine questioning."

"Don't worry about it." Resisting the urge to run a comforting hand over his mane of copper curls, Shakira settled for lightly patting his shoulder. "There was no way you could've known where the interview was going."

"Gates is a psycho." Wayne kissed his teeth. "Rochelle McPherson is probably on some beach somewhere cleaning out some tycoon's bank account."

'Maybe!" Shakira doubted it. Rochelle was many things but a gold-digger was not one of them. The McPherson's family wallet was plump enough that she didn't need to be. As much as she hated Rochelle, she couldn't help but wish that the woman was okay wherever she was, beach or not. At the very least it would clear Shakira's name.

"What does the four thousand dollars Charlie gave me have to do with any of this?" Shakira asked.

"I suspect it has something to do with this Fenton guy." Wayne tapped his chin in contemplation as he added, "But I'll find out more. After that stunt Gates' just pulled, I'm sure I can pull some information out of Karyn."

"So this means I still can't touch my money?"

"I'm sorry." He paused before rising slightly and reaching into his back pocket. When he sat back down, he had his wallet in his hand. "Look, if you need some cash I can-"

"No. No. No." Shakira rushed to forestall him. Her hand covered his over the black leather wallet as she said, "You don't have to do that. I'm okay."

It was bad enough that she was living off the charity of one man. Wayne had already put in so much – some would even say too much – of his time to help her solve her legal issues. She didn't want to stretch their relationship anymore than it already was.

"Are you sure?" Doubt wrinkled his brow, drawing her attention to the freckles tempering his skin.

"I'm-"