Chapter 7

"What do you mean the FBI froze my account?" Shakira exclaimed. Her voice carried beyond Wayne's office drawing askance looks from two lawyers who were passing by.

Wayne walked to the door and shut it before turning back to Shakira. His look was apologetic as he explained, "According to the bank, they received a notice to freeze your accounts immediately after your arrest."

"Why? Why would they want to take my money?" she asked, her mind reeling in confusion. She knew enough criminal law to know that an arrest was not enough to get your money frozen unless you were in for some financial crime. "And isn't the bank supposed to notify me?"

"They did notify you," Wayne said as he settled back behind his desk. Except for his head of copper curls and the freckles that marred the pale skin underneath his eyes and nose, he was the picture of the suave successful lawyer. He'd color coordinated an expensive navy suit, with a striped purple, white and blue shirt along with a purple tie to match it. A silver Rolex and platinum cufflinks gleamed at his wrist subtly hinting at his net-worth.

Like him, his office was the picture of elegant opulence. The large space boasted a beige carpeted floor, plywood walls, a floor to ceiling window with a stunning view of Manhattan's skyline and a glass sliding door that opened out to the rest of Green, Green & Becket. The furniture was all black leather, sleek steel and polished dark wood.

Everything about Wayne and his firm screamed money. He added, "The bank sent you a letter to your house notifying you of the freezing."

"Why would they send a letter to my house? I wasn't even-" Shakira stopped speaking because her temper was on the verge of spilling over. It wasn't Wayne's fault that the FBI, her bank and her mother who'd sold the house where her mail had been sent were all assholes. Pinching the bridge of her nose, she stared at the ceiling and counted to twenty.

Wayne interrupted her at fourteen. "You don't need to worry about it. With you released without charges it should be easy to get your assets unfrozen in a week or less."

Releasing her nose, she focused on him. There was a hopeful note in her voice as she asked, "You think so?"

"I do." He nodded as a large smile spread across his face and creased the edges of his eyes drawing even more attention to the freckles there. "You're with Green, Green & Becket and we always take care of our clients."

She sagged in her seat in relief. The bank had only left her with the state's mandatory one thousand seven hundred dollars but that would be enough to carry her until the end of the week or even longer. The thought of money cut her relief short.

"Wayne, I don't have much money to pay you." Picking up her bag, she searched for her wallet as within it as she said, "I mean I could give you a two hundred dollar ret-"

Wayne stopped her. "You don't need to worry about it, Shakira. This one's on me."

She looked up at him in shock. "Really?"

"Really."

She didn't know what to say. She'd known a lot of kindness from people in her lifetime but it rarely came from people who lived in gilded cages as Wayne did. Eve's own step-brother, a real estate mogul, had pretended he didn't even know Shakira when she'd gone to his office to plead for aid with her university costs.

Wayne was the last person she'd expected to help her. He and Charlie had been university buddies and somewhat friendly. When he'd approached her offering his services Pro Bono after her first lawyer had ditched her, she'd been baffled – grateful but nonetheless baffled.

His spirited defense at the trial despite his disbelief in her innocence had convinced her that he only meant well. His kindness was as unexpected as it was appreciated.