Fourteen

The don't talk. They ride to school in silence, and only talk when it's necessary. It hits Bella how much Juno depends on her. The burden never bothered her before. Juno feels similar. She's embarrassed, disgusted. She longs for the cold touch of Carlisle all day. She looks to the end of the day, hoping to see him waiting for her. When she leaves the building, she's relieved to see the familiar black Mercedes.
She leaves Bella automatically. She passes Carlisle, not speaking to him at all as she opens the passenger side door and climbs in on her own. All he can do is shrug to an angry Bella and Rosalie as he puts himself in the drivers seat. They leave the parking lot before Juno lets herself cry. He pulls over on the side of the road, pulling her into his stone cold arms and running his long fingers through her soft black hair. She sniffles after a few minutes and pulls herself away.
"Sorry." She apologizes. He shakes his head, squeezing her hand before pulling away so he can respond.
"Don't be sorry, Cara Mia. What happened? Why are you so upset?" Juno shakes her head, pulling herself together.
"I had a fight with Bella last night, when I came home. Now I- I'm just a burden to her. I guess I always have been. I basically rely on her for everything. This is a world where if you can't hear, you need someone to do it for you. Bella doesn't even have a choice in this. She's just always been assigned the task of taking care of me. I'm like a child, I can't do anything myself. I'm broken, Carlisle. Not even my parents wanted me. What would my life be like if they did? Would they love me? Would I have any siblings, would I know my grandparents?" She breaks into tears again as Carlisle grabs her hands, stopping her. Her face is contorted and red, tears meet under her chin as she sobs.
After a minute she stops crying.
"Love, love. Breathe. You are not a burden. You rely too much on your sister, that's true. But what else can you do? She is your sister, she loves you and wants you to succeed. The bond you have with her is so great, seventeen years of nothing but the two of you. She needs a break right now, to figure out some things. But so do you, Cher. Darling, you are not broken. You are gifted in such a way that the regular mind can not see. But I do not have a regular mind. You are special, Juno. Gifted." Carlisle tells Juno. She smiles, no longer crying as he pulls back onto the road. He takes her back to his home.
This time, his children are home. The mood of the home is completely different from yesterday. A fuller, happier yet angry tone excretes from the house. Carlisle immediately smiles as he realizes his children are home. He hops out of the car, helping Juno out as well. He walks to the door, walking in with Juno in tow. Carlisle is met with a pixie in his arms, hugging whatever life he had left out of him. He sets Alice down after a few seconds. She says a few words to him before looking to Juno..
She smiles huge, grabbing her in an unexpected hug. Juno just pats her back while Carlisle laughs at them. Jasper walks into the space a second later, pulling Alice from her hold on the mortal. Jasper gives Juno a smile, shaking her hand. Jasper and Alice leave, going upstairs.
Carlisle grabs Juno's hand, leading her straight to the office. He motions towards the chair in front of the desk, but Juno doesn't sit. Instead, she throws herself into his arms. She lays her head on his chest, closing her eyes as he chuckles and pats her back. She feels no heartbeat. Only his unnecessary breathing. After a minute she pulls away, embarrassed. She quickly throws herself into the leather seat with her face down. Carlisle lets out a laugh as he sits across from her. He leans over, grabbing her hands in his and rubbing small circles until she looks back up at him.
"I missed you." Juno quickly signs, embarrassed.
"And I you." Carlisle responds. She lets out a small smile, he does the same. Quickly her smile falters.
"What is it?"
"Another argument is waiting for me at home."
Carlisle shakes his head, lets out a large smiles as a thought occurs to him.
"Then don't go. Stay here. Stay with me." Juno shakes her head slowly, a smile forming as she considers his statement. After a few seconds, her shake turns into a nod.