Chapter 19: The Fight

Start from the beginning

She just wanted him to disappear.

"I said, get out!"

Chance couldn't move as he stared down at his own hands, wide eyed. His fingers started fading away one by one, the fine line which seemed to be eating him alive moved from his wrists to his elbows little by little.

"Edith, I love you okay? No matter what. I'm sorry, it wasn't me. I couldn't control the power sometimes. I understand every thought you had. Every feeling you felt."

Edith watched with apologetic eyes as Chance was consumed by the invisible wave that ate away his skin, his organs, his muscles and bones until the only thing left was dust, gripping to the blonde's hands. She knew she had done it. It was her fault.

Edith gaped, wiping her hands to her jeans and backing away. The teen felt her uncontrolled and erratic power rush through her as the panic attack became even worse. Her hands hurt, her head pounced and she screamed. The blonde couldn't move, she couldn't see. Her feelings were a mess, her power was a mess. She heard Emily yell out too and the house started shaking, breaking slowly and falling all around her.

Edith screwed up her whole life then.

°°°°°°

The Boss' fingers twitched as he looked at Edith with a mixture of admiration and anger. She returned his glance, lifting a hand and forming a strong beam around her fingers slowly. It was more a threat than an attack. He didn't give her time, narrowing his eyes and sending jolt after jolt of pain, his pupils flashing with a billion thoughts, probably wondering how he could prevent Edith from seeing. Somehow, it didn't hurt that much anymore, it felt manageable. Edith could handle it. Edith was strong enough to defeat anyone who dared crossed her. And what felt everyone better, she was strong enough to handle her powers. Strong enough to know when to stop.

The Boss sent a stronger wave towards her and she held back her smile, falling to her knees. Edith felt like their fight would be easy. The kick that hit her stomach though, she wasn't expecting. Edith hit the ground and had no time to react as the man kicked her repeatedly, the wounds unnoticeable in her night sky skin.

"I can't believe you're making me do this. You're mine, Hide. You can't change that." he said with a grim expression, as if he actually regretted hurting her.

"Look," Edith hissed, creating a shield of energy in front of his leg. The teen rose to her feet gracefully, shifting her own gravity and floating weightlessly. The Boss tried to punch her, though his hand went right through her "I was never yours to own."

She sent a huge fist of energy his way, hitting him in the chest and making him fall backwards.

"No!" Edith felt Sybil running towards her way before the woman's voice reached her ears.

The British woman looked livid, punching and kicking and screaming and Edith had trouble keeping up. Sybil fought Raven earlier, she hoped the blue woman was watching Edith.

"Hide!" Jean called out to her, throwing a huge piece of debris her way.

Edith remembered the way they had played with their powers months ago, and nostalgia was quickly pushed away as the blonde grew focused, taking the concrete out of Jean's telekinetic grip. She pushed the piece between Sybil and herself loudly and roughly, making a huge bang that startled everyone.

"Get the Boss! I'll handle her." Betsy shouted out, swinging her purple sword skillfully. Edith nodded.

The teen ran towards the Boss. The man was looking at her like she watched all of the fights, with a look of wonder, as if what he was seeing was something beautiful. Her hands gripping the sides of the Boss' head snapped him out of his daze. He looked horrified, shocked and scared.