Prologue: The Memory

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

-Eleanor Roosevelt

°°°°°°

EDITH DUNCAN WAS KNOWN FOR HAVING A NASTY TEMPER. She was aware, Boss was aware and the fighters were aware. Edith herself blamed it on the blindfold. Maybe even the horrible collar strapped to her neck that sent a terrible electricity current through her whole body when she tried to use her powers against the Boss' orders. It wasn't common, she had already learnt to summit: although said nasty temper was the only way she could revolt.

Being an executioner was not what Edith expected her life would be. It was almost scary how easy her job was. Every night, listening to the fighters in the arena until one of them fell. The blindfold disappeared and Edith could witness the same scenario every time. An enormous room, dirty and stained with blood and a line of mutants in front of her, beaten up, some barely conscious. The remains of the dogfight that had taken place moments ago. Edith knew, the Boss knew and the fighters knew. The execution was some people's favourite part. Edith would place her hand on top of the defeated mutant's chest, ignoring their begging words. With a blink, the losers of the night disappeared out of thin air one by one.

Although Edith had never killed any fighter, ever. And that was something only she knew.

Teleporting the defeated out of there consumed more energy than Edith was proud to admit, as if she had to grab every molecule from their body and throw it very far away. It was hard. Especially because she had to focus all her concentration into a memory of a place she knew would work. A pleasant place she knew would be a relief when they realised she had saved them. Edith always thought of the meadow, a tranquil spot among tall trees and beautiful flowers. She always imagined what they would hear, what they would smell. Birds chirping and the soothing river flowing by. Fresh air, the dust of wind that meant only the sweetest of news: freedom.

Edith envied them sometimes. Then she remembered what they had to go through to get to her and stopped thinking like that. Because that was all she ever wanted. Freedom. Coming home to a family she thought loved her (she didn't blame them if they didn't), going to school like a normal teenager and hanging out with her old friends. She wanted to fall in love, to meet people who could stand her and like her for who she truly was. No 'victims', no bosses and no nightmares. No being called Hide, because that's what everyone wanted to do when she walked in the room.

The Boss tugged on her chain harshly. Blackness engulfed her and the cold metal of the collar around her neck made her shiver. Edith walked blindly, guided by the harsh and cruel man who organized this shows. She heard grunts and cries of pain, the scent of burning flesh filled her nostrils and Edith took a step back inwardly. The Boss pushed her forward forcefully, yanking the blindfold off as the clapping of the humans watching the fight filled her ears.