Chapter 2

I stirred when the first rays of morning light touched my face. My hair and clothes were rumpled, but not only that. My back felt really warm. How long had I been sleeping in the sunlight? Was it noon yet?

I sat up slowly, yawning as I stretched. Just then, I saw something move. Turning slowly, I saw a girl asleep behind me, barely on the edge of the couch. Her hair was loose, covering her face. Her lips were parted, her arms up against her chest, her legs half-hanging off the couch. Ellie. Wait...Ellie?!

I yelped, flipping off the back of the couch and hitting the floor with a thump. Ellie stirred, making a soft, sleepy noise as she sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Oh, hi, Austin..." she murmured sleepily, smiling at me.

"E-Ellie, were you there the whole night...?" I stared at her in disbelief, completely alert.

"Yes," Ellie said proudly, her sleepy eyes on me. "You didn't take long to fall asleep, and since I felt bad for taking your bed, I slept on the couch with you."

I continued to stare at her. "What...? But...why?"

Ellie laughed. "Like I said, it's because--"

"No, not that! How could you be comfortable sleeping next to someone you barely know?"

Ellie lifted her chin slightly, defiance in her eyes. "I feel I can trust you. You wouldn't hurt me. You saved me and took care of me."

My incredulousness did not fade. This girl was truly amazing. "You trust me that much?"

She shrugged. "It's been a while since I had someone care for me. Someone that took me in willingly." My heart lurched a little at her words.

"Stay with me then, Ellie," I found myself blurting out. "I'll take care of you. I'll protect you." I already felt like she was a little sister to me. She looked like she was 17, and I looked like I was 26. I would take care of her like a big brother.

Ellie's cheeks flushed and her eyes brightened. Sitting up, she straightened her clothes and ran her fingers through her hair. "You really want me to stay?"

I nodded earnestly. "I do. You don't have to run anymore. This can be your home. I'll protect you, if you want that."

She rose and moved gracefully towards me before throwing herself at me. My arms automatically went around her. She felt so fragile in my arms, I was afraid of breaking her. Keeping her face in my shoulder, she wrapped her arms around my waist.

"Thank you, Austin. That's all I've been wanting." With that, we both fell silent, holding each other. She didn't cry, but I sensed her need for comfort. Within this seemingly-simple girl was a bottomless well of grief shrouded in mystery. I would care for her, though. She would never have to be alone again.

Not long after, Ellie went to take a shower. I lent her a T-shirt of mine and a pair of athletic shorts, promising her that I would take her clothes shopping soon. After she left, I sat on the couch in silence, thinking. I thought about the attack from yesterday. Why was Ellie so important? And why was she wanted for her life?