Chapter 24: Tattooed Angel

Start from the beginning

"Why?"

" 'Cause of your mom," Simone said. "I mean, I always wanted to be a nurse ever since I was little, but by how I was taken care of by your mom and all of the health care people, I thought that I can do that too. That day, my mind was made up."

Cassie smiled, touched at Simone's words. "Well, I'm glad you have your future planned."

"Of course," Simone replied. "I'm gonna make my dad more proud."

"By the way, how's your dad's arms after graduation? 'Cause he flew off that barricade," Cassie said, with a laugh.

Simone's father was overly excited for Simone walking across the stage that he jumped out of his seat to get a close view, cheering and waving his hands all over the place, only to lose his balance and tip over the barricade.

"Don't even remind me," Simone groaned, doing a face palm. "I don't even know why he didn't he just cry his eyes out like your dad did."

"Hey, at least you guys left before my family," Cassie said matter-of-factly. "We were stuck in the parking lot, 'cause Dad was still crying and shouting to God."

Simone snickered. "He done caught the Holy Ghost," she joked.

"I don't know if that was the Holy Ghost, 'cause that was something completely different."

The pair let out a laugh at this. This was short lived, as they saw Drew coming in the cafeteria in a white tank top baring his entire shoulder tattoo, khaki shorts, and sandals. His shoulder length dark hair was worn loose.

"Girl, what a catch, I envy you," Simone murmured.

"I don't think Eric would be happy to hear that from you," Cassie warned playfully.

Simone immediately looked nervous. "Oh, damn, you're right, matter of fact, I gotta find him."

"Alright, keep in touch."

"You know I will."

Cassie and Simone smiled and hugged each other before finding their respective boyfriends.

Cassie found Drew signing his name to get his diploma and permanent record. She was captivated by a tattoo on his back that was seen through his shirt. It was a quote in Spanish written in small elegant Edwardian script, with tiny flocks of birds on the top and bottom of the quote.

He was finished and had his diploma and permanent record in hand, a small smile gracing his handsome features, although he looked very tired. That smile widened when he saw Cassie walking towards him.

"Hey, Drew," Cassie greeted, still not getting over that tattoo.

Drew kissed her on the top of her head, and gathered her in a hug.

Ugh, he smells so good.

"Hola, mi amor," Drew greeted her in a low tone.

"I just wanna know who let you outside the house looking like that," Cassie said jokingly, as she let go of Drew. " 'Cause the girls are out here breaking their necks checking you out."

"Well..." Drew started before breathing out a laugh. "My mom had to be at work for seven."

"Ah, that explains it."

"Yeah, and it's the last day of school, baby, that's where all the rules go out the window."

Cassie smiled. "Yeah, you're right," she agreed, hugging him by his waist.

"Mm-hmm," Drew hummed, kissing her on the top of her head, as they walked outside the cafeteria with their diplomas.

As they made their way to the subway through the hot summer air, Cassie asked Drew,