He was lucky not to be like his sister Isabelle.

If she had been the one who had been thrown out, she would've needed weeks to take all her stuff.

He smiled a bit, remembering the few good times he had had with his siblings and friends.

5 years ago, he wouldn't have thought that just from being gay, something kind of illegal in the Shadow World, he wouldn't see his family nor his friends anymore.

He had noticed he missed the Penhallows, who had been such good friends with them.

They came to the New York Institute very often, because Aline was Isabelle's parabatai.

Alec and Aline were good friends since they were little and he missed her so much.

Aline wasn't straight either. Actually she was dating a girl named Helen, but nobody knew.

Alec had noticed it, because of how they looked at each other, the times the Blackthorn's came along with the Penhallows; and his suspicions had become true when he had found Aline and Helen, asleep together, Aline spooning her girlfriend.

Alec had immediately gotten out of the room and locked it with a rune, so no one would bother them; Alec didn't want them to end up like him, a year later.

Finally, the girl brought him his coffee that he had been waiting for for at least half an hour.

Alec thanked her and when he took the coffee, he saw the girl's number written in the napkin.

Alec sighed.

That girl didn't know her number would end up in the team in less than five minutes. He looked at the girl, who was walking to another table. She had long curly brown hair, beautiful green eyes, somehow like a cat, she was slender and walked with elegance.

If Alec had been straight, he would've tried to call her.

Alec, the day he had received the letter in return from his parents, had decided to close his heart to everyone, fearing to be heartbroken again because of his loved ones.

It had been at least 3 years since he had talked to someone and completely closed his heart.

He got out of the café and threw the napkin into the trash can, in front of the café. He started walking to his loft, down the street.

It was very silent, with few people walking. The street was very creepy. The few apartments and houses were all dark and old, which made them look very creepy.

There were some hidden alleys too, where there only were lots of trash, and street cats.

There was a one of those a few metres, from where Alec lived.

He was walking, in front of the alley when he heard weird noises; the typical weird noises of a Raum demon.

He took his stele and activated the Glamour Rune, before taking his bow and three arrows, when he saw how many demons there were.

It was easy to kill a Raum demon, if you knew where their weak point was: a small gland in their spine, you could reach with something sharp.

There were two demons, behind a bigger one, all three looking at Alec. Before walking one more step and becoming a threat to the demons, he looked around him, searching for more demons.

He didn't see any more, so he raised his bow, with three arrows.

Alec shot to the Raum behind the biggest one, on the left.

The Shadowhunters didn't kill it, but it gave him time to take three more arrows, step aside when one of the small Raum jumped over him and jump onto the first Raum he had shot, shooting the three arrows to it's back where the gland was and killing it.