Tips : Shutter speed

There are four main features of an SLR and DSLR: ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. Here, we'll be talking about Shutter Speed.

What is Shutter Speed?

It's the length of time the film is exposed to light. Short shutter speeds freeze images in time while long shutter speeds show motion.

Shutter Speed and Exposure

The longer the shutter speed, the longer the film is exposed to light. As a result, it can affect the level of exposure and create a lighter, whitewashed image. Because of this, you have to compensate with the aperture and ISO to get an image with a balanced exposure. The aperture and ISO will be talked about in later chapters.

Below is the same image but with different shutter speeds. I kept the aperture to 5.0 and the ISO to 400. As you can see, the lower the shutter speed the more exposure the image has to light. Hope you like my egg.

What do the weird numbers mean?

On your camera, the shutter speed is shown like this: 1/500. This simply means five-hundredth of a second. 1/8 means an eighth of a second. 1/2 means half a second. Got it?

Very Slow Speeds

If you want to create blurs or trails, anything between 2 seconds to 20 seconds is recommended. You'll probably need a tripod for this, as you don't want camera shake.

Slow Speeds

You'll also need to use a tripod for these shutter speeds. 1/15. 1/8. 1/4. 1/2. 1/1.

Moderate Speeds

Handholding is generally okay for these: 1/250. 1/125. 1/60. 1/30.

Fast Speeds

These are for stopping action, sports etc. 1/8000. 1/4000. 1/2000. 1/1000. 1/500.