Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Natasha filled me in the last few months of the constant phone calls and texts between you two. Not to mention you were missing her so much you invited her to one of Tony's parties. You are beyond whipped, Steve." Aquila teased before heading towards the two people. 

"Sam! Quinn!" Aquila shouted, clearly happy to see both of them. 

Tony and Thor stood not too far away watching the interaction between Aquila, the man, and the woman, Sam, and Quinn who had been introduced as Steve's friends. 

"She never greets any of us like that," Tony grumbled under his breath. "And we've known her longer!"

"Nice tattoo," Sam said, pointing out the eagle tattoo that stood out prominently on her bare shoulder for the entire room to see. 

"Thanks."

"You guys wanna play?" Sam asked, pointing to the pool table.

"I'm happy to watch."

After watching both of them get their asses kicked and Aquila laughing at them, maybe one too many times. A bout of confidence suddenly washed over, as her eyes scanned the room for a certain redhead.  

Eventually finding her over at the bar, she quickly made her excuses to Sam, Quinn, and Steve who had protested her leaving until they realized exactly where she was going and what she was going to do. 

Aquila briskly walked across the room towards the bar only to end up bumping into someone. 

Aquila's eyes widened as she saw the girl in front of her, recognizing her immediately. 

"Kayla?"

"Actually, my name is Keira Ross. Fury sent me undercover so I could check in on you." The girl who introduced herself as Keira instead of Kayla spoke. 

"Did he really?" Aquila scoffed in return. "I'm so going to strangle him the next time I see him. I can look after myself." Aquila continued, letting out a small chuckle with Keira quickly followed with. 

"Well, despite it being a weird situation, I'm glad I got to meet you properly," Keira said. 

"Yeah, definitely." Aquila agreed before pulling Keira into a hug. 

"Hands off, Cadman. Go find yourself your own girlfriend, Keira is mine." Tony shouted across the room, drawing plenty of attention to the two girls. 

Aquila's eyes widened as she hadn't known that Tony was capable of such a commitment but she quickly continued her way towards the bar where Natasha was, Keira currently conversing with Steve. 

"So how'd a nice girl like you end up in a dump like this?" Aquila asked flirtatiously, confidence truly was an extremely good thing. 

"A gal done me wrong," Natasha responded just as flirtatiously, pouring Aquila a drink as both of them continued their staring game from before. 

"You've got a lousy taste in women, kid."

"She's not so bad," Natasha said. "She can be a bit flighty at times. But deep down, she's as chirpy as they come. Fact is, she's not like anybody I've ever known."

Aquila's heart continued to beat faster until she felt like it was almost going to beat out of her chest. She couldn't help but grin at the bird jokes that Natasha had so smoothly worked into her words. Aquila was far from stupid, in fact, it was rather obvious that Natasha was talking about her. 

"All my friends are fighters, but this girl comes in, wanting to avoid the fight because she knows it will break people apart even more."

"She sounds like a total babe," Aquila responded, her confidence slowing coming back to her. 

"She's also a huge dork." 

Aquila snorted, dropping her head down in embarrassment, a small smile gracing her lips. 

"Chick's dig that," Natasha reassured her, leaning forward. "So what do you think should I fight this, or run with it?"

In Aquila's case who hadn't really been in any real relationship before ended up tripping up on her words. 

"Run with it, right? Or, did she. . . was she . . .? What did she do that was so wrong to you?"

"Not a damn thing. But never say never." Natasha said, giving Aquila, a final flirtatious and sultry smile walked off, as Aquila's eyes trailed after her, as she found herself hopeless to try and stop them. 

"It's nice," Steve said, walking up to where Aquila still sat at the bar. 

"What is?" Aquila asked finally pulling her eyes away from Natasha's retreating figure and back to Steve. 

"You and Romanoff."

"That was a little bit of some harmless flirting." 

"You and I both know that wasn't just flirting," Steve said. "Besides, I've seen her flirt. Up close. This ain't that. With you, she definitely seems more relaxed, more comfortable in every situation that has you in it too."

"No. . .uh. . um . ." Aquila said, stumbling over the few words she managed to get out. 

"It's okay," Steve said, chuckling at her reaction. "No one is breaking any rules. I've had to deal with the tension between you two for far too long, go for it. You both deserve a win." Steve said before walking off. 

"Hang on. . .what do you mean, up close?"