7

I watch each clip of the Selected arriving at the palace grounds, only half paying attention. I pace my room until my dinner is brought to my room.

I eat slowly and nervously. Then I sneak over to my mom's room.

"Mom?" I say quietly as I step inside. She looks up and smiles.

"What is it, Claire?" she asks.

"Nothing. I'm just... Nervous."

"Oh, don't be!" she says. "You should've seen me at this point in my Selection! They had to give me this whole big makeover and everything, and I still didn't get to meet Maxson until the next day! Of course, I kind of did meet him early, but still." She smiles, and so do I.

"Thanks," I say, hugging her. After a minute I pull away and smile again. "Good night."

"Good night," she says. "I love you."

"Love you too," I say, going back to my room.

She always knows just what to say.

༄༄༄༄༄

I wake up to my maids busily swooping around me. I take a bath and get dressed, and they do my hair and makeup. I'm in a sparkly blue ball gown, and my hair is left down to fall in curls by my shoulders. They use a spray to darken it to a dark reddish-brown color instead of the usual red with a few brown highlights.

"Done!" Sara chirps, fastening the necklace. I smile and hive her a quick hug.

"Thanks. Wish me luck!" I say, and I step out the door, put on my royal air, and proceed down the spiral staircase to the dining room, paying attention to my expression and posture to look as regal as possible.

"Princess Claire!" the Selection organizer says, giving me a quick curtsy. I smile and proceed to my seat at the end of the table. The Selected rise and bow as I pass. I recognize both Wills and green-haired Alex.

"Hello, as you should all know, I'm Claire," I say to them. There are a few quick chuckles. "We're so glad to have you here in the Selection. If you don't mind, I'd like to speak to each of you privatly after breakfast. For now, enjoy!"

The maids come in on cue with platters full of food. We toast the Selection and chatter breaks out along the table as we eat.

I take notes on their behaviours, and pay attention to each one's manners. They seem well-taught and polite enough. Hm.

Once everyone finishes eating, the Selection organizer gets them in order and I begin the starting interviews in the library.

I realize I'm going to have to start eliminations right now.