Chapter 22- Katie

I opened my eyes when the door silently creaked open, the stillness of the room suffocating and quiet. I stayed in my position and kept my breath even, not knowing who entered the room.

"I can tell that you are awake," the person, Daniel, said, and I relaxed instantly at the sound of his voice. "Are you ok?" Concern filled his voice, and I could pick up a sense of confusion in it as if the meeting had given him something to think about.

I sat up in bed and rubbed my eyes before looking in the direction that I heard his voice. Slowly, I nodded my head, tearing my gaze away from him because I didn't want to see how... "otherworldly," he looked at that moment.

His eyes seemed to glow in the dim light of the hallway, and it made my heart pound in fear because I had seen that look before, the look in animals eyes that my father had insisted on me killing and would beat me when I didn't do it.

"Katie?" Daniel asked. Worry filled his voice, and I could tell that he wanted to move closer to me but didn't for some odd reason. "I am going to turn on the lights so that we can talk, ok? Close your eyes."

I did what I was told to do and instantly closed my eyes. My heart pounded in my chest, and I had trouble breathing.

Those eyes plagued me behind my closed eyes and were instantly replaced by those that I had known before; those eyes filled with pain, fear, and disgust when they looked at me, sunken inside of faces that almost looked like skeletons wearing skin and nothing else.

"Eyes of a predator," the male I had to call my father would say, kicking at one of them. My stomach turned when I remembered the sickening crunch of bone and the loud howl of an animal in pain. "Eyes that aren't human and should be killed."

A soft click filled the air, and Daniel walked over to me, silently and cautiously, no sound coming from him whatsoever.

Could he be one? Could he be a Werewolf? Or was I falling into one of his tricks, the tricks that my "father" pulled on me to get me to understand that Werewolves were dangerous?

The bed dipped, and I felt him beside me. I didn't open my eyes and didn't want to. I didn't want to look at him, the male that had stolen my heart and the male that could be... something different.

"Katie, open your eyes. You're freaking me out." Worry filled the male's voice, and it took all of my self-control not to open my eyes and look at him. "Katie?" he asked again and touched my arms, his touch warm and comforting. "Please," he begged. "Open your eyes. What's wrong? What is it?"

I shook my head and squeezed my eyes tighter. I took a deep and tried to keep myself from panicking to no avail.

As soon as that thought entered my mind, I couldn't stop thinking about it. However, he couldn't be. He couldn't be one of them, the monsters that my "father" had warned me about. He was too... kind, too human.

But what if he was?

Daniel placed his arms around me and pulled me into a tight hug. He didn't say a word but just held me tight in his arms while I had a small panic attack.

I buried my face into his shirt and took in his scent. I had no idea if he was one of them or not and wondered if he would answer me when I asked if I asked.

However, I couldn't. I couldn't ask him because I had no idea what I would do if he were one. I had no idea if I would feel... whatever I was feeling with him if I knew. Did I even want to know if he was a Werewolf?

You want to know if there is a reason for these sparks...

I furrowed my brows and closed my eyes harder. I took a deep breath in and let it out, trying to calm myself down. I wanted to know why these sparks and everything I felt with him, but what if it was for a different reason? If it was, what would that reason be?

Finally, Daniel pulled me away from him and lifted my face, his touch gentle and soft, a touch that I knew for as long as I had known him. "Katie?" he asked, his voice shaking. "Open your eyes, please. What happened? What's wrong?"

I shook my head and opened my eyes to stare into the brown eyes that I knew so well. I offered him a tight smile and shook my head again. 'I am fine,' I lied, deciding against asking him. 'I am just tired, is all.'

Daniel frowned and nodded his head. His eyes held this disbelief in them, and I knew that he wouldn't believe me until I told him the truth, whatever the truth may be. However, I knew that he wouldn't push me, and for that, I was grateful. "If you are sure..." he said, his voice holding the disbelief in it. "You know that you can tell me anything, right?"

I nodded my head. I knew that I would be able to, but I didn't want him to ask him about this one thing, this one thought that haunted my brain. 'I know,' I said. 'I am just tired.' I grimaced and offered him a shrug, hoping that would soothe the worry lines on his face.

Daniel frowned and nodded his head, and I could tell that he didn't believe me. "If you are sure..." he said again. "Come on, let's get some sleep. It had been a long day, hasn't it?"

I nodded my head because it had been, and I was feeling the exhaustion of it. A small yawn escaped my lips, and Daniel chuckled and kissed my forehead. I closed my eyes at the soft touch of his lips and felt relieved that I had found a man like him.

"Go to sleep," he said. "I will turn off the lights, ok?"

I nodded my head and laid down again, pulling the blankets up to my shoulders. I closed my eyes and felt the bed move while Daniel got up and walked towards the light. I kept them closed when he turned the light off and walked to the closet to change into some bedclothes.

When the door closed with a soft click, I opened my eyes and stared at the closet door, lost in thought.

I might not ask him my questions, but I knew that I could ask someone else, someone who acted like a mother to me and someone that I trusted.

I just hoped that she would be able to answer them...