1. Neglected/Abused

Ah yes! We all love a bit of drama in our story, especially concerning the protagonist, am I right?

And you're in luck, because this is a good way to stack up views and votes as well a comments that give off the impression people escaped from an Asylum...you know, in case you care more about recognition instead of delivering some good stuff.

Oh, who am I kidding, no one writes to tell a story. That'd be stupid.

So, HOW do we make our story dramatic?

Well, we could work out way slowly, by hinting at some potential gray or dark events of the past which involved the character and gave birth to a new trait that's visibly apparent, either physical or mental, as a way to ignite the feeling of true sympathy and investment of the audience...Pff. Yeah, sure.

All that stuff requires patience and work put into it. And it doesn't have the instant impact...where are my sweet sweet views, HUH?!

What we should focus instead is completely misinterpreting how traumatic incidents affect a person's mentality and instead settle for the good ally of all the best writers ever...EGDE. Huh? Reason? What reason? Effects?

No, mate. No need to make it complicated. You don't need reasons or effects since they are not as cool as a bunch of one liners said in the atmosphere of a discount Shakespeare opera.

But we need someone to abuse and and neglect us in order to hit the jackpot. Hmm...guess we could research actual abuse cases and take inspiration from there when creating the character that will abuse us...

Nah, too lazy for that. This is fanfiction. Just take some family from the show you're watching and make them do a 180 in personality.

Huh? Whatchu mean people come to read fanfiction about a show because they like how that show was portrayed in the first place? No, bruh. Everyone is like this:

"Man, Tai really cares for his daughters despite his past relationship failu-I WISH HE WOULD TRASH TALK ME TO SLEEP TO THE POINT WHERE I WANT TO SHOOT MYSELF...that would make the show 10 times better..."

See? Your work is pretty easy. Just, you know... don't actually bother to explain and explore the reasons WHY they mistreat the main character compared to other characters. I mean, it's the rule of thumb in Fanfictions... everyone should hate the adopted one...who was still adopted for some reason even tho... he's despised.

It all makes perfect sense!

...

What's that? C-character development? Ummm... Hold on...I think I've dropped it while searching on the net for those on liners...hmm...

Oh! I know, I'll give the character tons of cool powers, abilities and weapons. That counts as development, right?

...yeah. Of course he can still be abused despite being one foot short from becoming Jesus himself...he was still crucified, remember? Everything checks out.

What do you mean, what's next? Well...h-he runs, obviously, but he did it now and not before because... because........Fuck.

IT doesn't matter why, okay? What did I tell ya!? Reasons don't matter. Anyway, he runs away and suddenly everyone feels bad for what they did in the span of ...what? 5 minutes. Yeah. Perfectly normal.

Then then the MC meet some stranger he never saw before and totally trusts him/her right off the bat because it's not like there are other abusers in the world or that a trauma from abuse causes trust issues, no need for that.

He trusts the strangers because...umm ... Cause he's not a genius yet. That's right... that's next chapter, which is a time skip of a few years, because nobody cares how the stranger earned the trust of the MC or why they helped in the first place. Just make the stranger the most pure person in the world that's somehow human who have desires and stuff.

What's that I hear? The abuse is over? Oh no. That's your Trump card mate. Makes sure the character acts perfectly normal with anyone else as if he was the heir of a very lovable and wealthy family... The friendliest guy on earth...until the abusers show themselves again.

Oh yeah, now they're sorry so this is where you choose the path for the majestic ending of your masterpiece.

1! Wanna impress your edgy teenagers friends who like to act like psychos in the comments to the point where they might look like they have mental problems?

I got you, my man. Turn the MC himself into a psycho that kills everyone who mistreated him in the past. It's fine. He has the free victim card. It guarantees you'll stay out of jail because 'people bad to me'. But you love good endings so he'll still get his harem of girls because girls love to share the guy unconditionally, especially a murderer with clear mental problems. Is there a chance he'll turn into an abusive father?

... Why do you care? You want a sequel to it? Humanity can't handle this much greatness. Spare us, Lord of Words.

2! You want to develop your MC into someone good and kind despite his tragedy?

I got you, fam. Make him forgive and forget EVERYTHING he's been through   in a split second and then have him fuck his sisters, one underaged, 2 mothers because we need more than just one, the father will surely agree with this... And STILL give him the harem.

Oh...you didn't bother to fully develop the romantic relationships with each female character?

...so? No one cares, bro. They want numbers. Why do you think stories with 200+ girls in the harem are so popular? Yeah. Horny teenagers. You're right.

And...there you have it. You're now ready to begin your adventure into this realm of Abuse, tragedy and edginess...as well as get lost into the sea of other hundreds of stories that follow the same formula and whose authors get really defensive if you DARE to contradict this holy scripture.

Forgive me oh great lords of Fiction. A mortal like me can't comprehend your greatness.

And yes. I'm looking mostly at you RWBY community, because this is one of your biggest problems.

Let us see what fire of knowledge the Prometheus of writing will bring us next time. Farewell, for now.

To be continued...