( chapter eight )

Start from the beginning

        I think the SSR has something planned for the soldiers. I think that's why I'm here, but I'm pretty sure it's classified and I really shouldn't be telling you about it. But, I see higher ups watching us train and can't help but wonder why. 

        I can't wait to be done and have you in my arms again. 

Eternally yours,

Steve

⚬ ⚬ ⚬

Dear Steve, 

        I hope they're feeding you good and letting you boys bathe. I don't want to imagine how much odor are in the bunks from everyone after a long day of training. Especially because you're probably out all day in the sun and mud and sweating and I'm shivering in disgust just thinking about it. When you get back, you're coming to my home to shower. And, I beg of you, please use all the hot water you want. 

        Just so you know, I like you the way you are. I know you don't want to hear about how much your asthma worries me sometimes, but I like how short you are. Makes it easier to kiss you. I would hate to make you pick up my 5'0" stature just to have a quick kiss to the lips. And bending down all the time would just hurt your back. I believe that we are evenly matched, you and I. But, I wouldn't mind you filling out a bit, only because it would show me that you're not as sickly as you look. 

        I know you're Irish, but could it kill you to not be pale all the time and have some color? (When you're not blushing adorably, that is!)

        Gordon is fine, thanks for asking. Him and his squadron are camped somewhere in France in a little town, trying to deal with everything there. Apparently, the towns people are really nice and hate the German occupation as much as we hate the idea of it. He seems to be doing okay. There's a woman that gives him free coffee whenever she sees him, so he's being taken care of. 

        I miss and love you lots and I hope that everyone is treating you fairly! 

Your darling,
Edith

⚬ ⚬ ⚬

Dear Edith,

        Wow, do I have a story to tell you! Today, we were doing the run and there's this flag pole that marks the halfway mark of the whole track. Now, the drill sergeant told us to try and get the flag and if we did, Agent Carter would give us a ride back to camp. And apparently, nobody has gotten the flag in seventeen years or something. I don't know, I wasn't paying that much attention because I was trying to get my breath back.

        Anyway, the other recruits were trying to climb this flag pole and some of them even tried to help their fellow soldier up. Which, they made a valiant effort, I have to say. However, when he fell down, the others didn't get a chance to try and climb for it because the drill sergeant told everyone to fall in.

        Well, with how tired I was (and, okay, my asthma), I wanted to seize the opportunity to get a ride back to camp. So, I pulled the pin at the bottom of the flag pole, tipped it over, and then grabbed the flag from the ground. Everyone seemed surprised. But, really, if that had simply thought it through better than just scrambling to get the flag, they would have gotten a ride back instead of me. 

        Peggy (Agent Carter) had told me that I was smart for hanging back and thinking it through, which means a lot. I think you'd like Peggy. She's strong and smart and she does her hair a lot like how you wear yours. I wish I could introduce you, you two would be the best of friends, I'm sure.