Edith looked at the clock, deduced how much time she had before Steve would be done at the enlistment office, and sat down on her and Gordon's couch with a book in her lap. This was, of course, after she had made sure her hair was done and that she looked presentable enough to be seen in public, even if not many people were going to be looking at her. She got through a three chapters when there was a knock on her door. 

Edith made sure to mark her page, setting the book down on the small table beside the couch before she was getting up and smoothing out her dress. Steve was on the other side of the door, standing with his hands in his pockets. Edith smiled at him, though she only got a small one in return. This made Edith sigh, reaching for one of Steve's hands and intertwining their fingers and giving him a small squeeze. 

"I'm guessing it didn't go as planned," Edith said, making sure to lock her door before the two of them were heading down the stairs to the street. Steve didn't let go of her hand, the two of them making their way out onto the sidewalk and starting to walk towards the theatre. Steve sighed, but didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it. He knew that most of the time, the asthma that was plaguing him was usually going to get him a 4F every time.

"You know, you're one of the best men I know," Edith told him as they passed by a diner, Steve's eyes focusing on a man in uniform that was sitting in the window. Edith squeezed his hand, "And just because you're not fighting doesn't make you less than any of them." Steve turned to her then, blue eyes shining with some type of emotion. Edith nudged him with her shoulder, "In fact, I think you're the best man I've ever met." 

The blush that Steve seemed to only save for her coated his cheeks and turned his ears red. Edith smiled widely at that, choosing to drag him towards the movie theatre at a faster pace that Steve wouldn't lose his breath at. When they stood in front of the awning, looking at the film titles and stars before choosing one and going to get the tickets. 

Steve insisted on paying, even though Edith had enough money to cover the cost and was happy to pay it. Still, he had shoved her hand away and gave the employee the money, who smiled and gave them the tickets before they were making their way inside. Once seated in the middle of the row, snug together, the two of them chatted quietly as the theatre started to fill up. 

When the theatre dimmed, there was a sound of trumpeting before the reel started to play. It was the enlisting message that basically every radio show and film place was playing. War continues to ravage Europe. Edith's thoughts went to Gordon and she squeezed Steve's hand. He squeezed back, looking at her and smiling softly. But help is on the way! 

Edith heard a muffled sob from somewhere behind her and knew that families and loved ones were getting pulled away. And seeing the men on the screen marching towards the vehicle that was going to take them off to war, suitcases in hand and carrying their jackets made Edith's heartache. If Steve wasn't beside her, comforting her, she'd probably be trying to hold back sobs at the thought of Gordon fighting and then ultimately losing him. 

Every able-bodied man is lining up to serve his country! 

The video showed men getting a physical, making Edith turn to Steve. His expression was slightly cloudy, knowing that he had just tried to do the same thing as the men on the screen had been doing. The next shot was a little boy sorting through scrap metal, even little Timmy is doing his part collecting scrap metal! Nice work, Timmy!

"Who cares?!" came from the row in front of them, Edith furrowing her eyebrows at the man she's pretty sure had shouted, a frown set on her face. "Play the movie already!" Edith kicked the back of the chair as a man two rows in front of them turned around to the man who was being disrespectful. The guy hadn't turned around at Edith's kick, but she was hoping that it was going to shut him up.