𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙩𝙝.

𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯
_____________________

i eagerly slammed my locker shut, ready to go put something in my stomach. i didn't see yas or trey hanging around my locker so i assumed they went to the cafeteria already. i didn't mind because i had to go get kendell. i didn't want him feeling left out and he was actually really cool.

walking the opposite direction of the lunch room, in a few minutes i had reached his locker. kendell stood leaned against it, his foot propped up on the locker and he stared at his phone, i guess waiting for me.

he glanced up at me and nodded his head upwards. i did the same and we dapped each other up, making our way back to the cafeteria.

"so how you like it here so far?" i asked briefly looking at him.

he shrugged. "is' aight. i mean schoo' is schoo'. i'on like it but it's somethin' i gotta do. be a good example and allat." 

i nodded in understanding. "yeah, i feel ya there."

we continued to walk in a comfortable silence until we reached the cafeteria. squeezing through people who don't know how to move out the way, i briefly scanned the large room until i found yasmeen and trey sitting in our usual spot.

trey had his airpods in and didn't even hear when we had sat down. yasmeen looked between kendell and i curiously and she arched her freshly done eyebrow.

"hey lathan. who's your friend?" she asked, glancing at kendell curiously every few seconds.

"this is is kendell. he's new. they wanted me to show him around the school and shit. kendell, this is one of my two best friends, yasmeen." 

he nodded his head upwards. "wassuh, shorty." she smiled a friendly smile and waved at him. everyone soon shifted their gaze onto trey, who was scrolling on his phone and snickered every once in a while.

"ahem!" yasmeen cleared her throat and nudged trey in his side roughly. he let out a grunt and took out his right airpod and looked at her incredulously. "what, bitch?"

she used her eyes to 'point' at kendell. trey followed her gaze until his eyes met kendells. i noticed how trey visibly froze a little and suddenly looked uncomfortable. even kendell, who sat next to me, shifted awkwardly in his seat and scratched his head.

"say hello to kendell." yasmeen continued to probe him, clearly not aware of the rising tension between the two.

trey continued to stare bug eyed at kendell, his mouth slightly parted. "um-uhh...i-i.. i just remembered i have a test to study for, for psychology. i-i'll catch up with soon as school over." trey got up and gathered his belongings and walked away briskly from our table and damn near ran out of the cafeteria. i watched him leave with an arched eyebrow.

"the hell was that?" yasmeen asked, speaking my thoughts. i shrugged. "i got no clue." i side-eyed kendell to see he was fiddling with the gold pendant around his neck and staring at his phone, pretending like nothing happened.

he glanced up and his eyes met with mine. he looked nervous for a short moment but quickly reverted to his usual calm, but stoic facial expression. "say slime, whatchu lookin' at me like dat fo'? i'an do shit." i sensed him getting slightly defensive and i was going to ask him about it, but i'd decided to do it when it was just us.