Chapter 13 - Operation Snow Highlands

Start from the beginning

The information was sensitive and highly important. It was about the current country's rebel group leader and if the other factions were to find out about it, they will be repelled and flushed out from governing the country.

The reporter was one of our own.

"Alright, we got more information from Scott," Frank added as he entered our circle and laid out a large map on the table. "He's held here, the area is covered by forests all around and the next cabin is a mile away. They're stuck there due to the snow storm so we only have this time frame before they decide to relocate him to a more secure location."

I stared down at the map. True, the wooden cabin was surrounded by coniferous trees at all fronts except for one. It faces the open sea and a few klicks away was land. On normal days, I would be spotted easily but in the heavy snow storm, there would be low visibility and I doubt I would be seen if I were to spot there.

"I'd be here," I said as I pointed at the spot.

Frank agreed. "Okay, that's a good spot," he said. "We'll have the team break into two teams, as per usual. Team 1 to the front door and Team 2 to take out the remaining stragglers outside. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir!"

.

As soon as I stepped out from the warm hut, the heat disappeared abruptly and I started shivered uncontrollably despite the many layers I had adorn in anticipation for this mission. I pulled down the white wool beanie so it covered my ears and put up the hood of the winter coat that I had zipped up all the way to my neck.

"Let's go!"

Muttering curses under our breath, we piled inside the armoured vehicle – the wheels had been changed to snow wheels so we wouldn't skid and we drove out to the location.

"Are the gloves working?"

"I guess so." I showed him the new white gloves – the warm, versatile material covered my fingers and Quinn poked at the glove, testing it with his fingers.

"It's an odd material."

"I don't even know what it is."

As extra measures for warmth and a suggestion from my sister, I had stuck on heat warmers on my shirt and brought along a number of hot pockets. They filled up my pockets with heat and though they helped provide more warmth, it didn't stop me from shivering.

The vehicle stopped moving suddenly which meant that we've reached my spot and I got out from there, bidding everyone goodbye as I left the warmth again and had to welcome the frigid cold.

The wind buffeted against my winter coat – attempting to sink their freezing cold fingers into any exposed skin and I hunched my shoulders as I trembled like a quaking leaf. The cold felt harsh against my eyes so I put on the goggles as visibility was minimal here. My boots sank in the snow as I began the arduous journey across.

"How're you doing there, Amelia?"

"Just peachy."

"How many more metres to the drop?"

"Five hundred."

Crunching my way across the mostly flat lands, I fought against the freezing gale and harsh snow to reach my lookout point. It was imperative for me to reach there first and ascertain the situation before Frank could allow them to wreak havoc.

"This is ridiculous." I complained to no one but it was heard by the radio comms.

"Are you alright?"