Chapter 12

CALI POV -

"What?" I say in disbelief, not believing what I had just hear. "How could you keep something like this from Blake and I?" I voice.

"It was to protect you," Dad, well now Robert, answers simply.

"I call bullshit! How is not telling us that you're not out real parents, protecting us? Is Blake even my real brother?" I begin questioning them, getting angrier.

"We will tell you everything from the beginning," Evelyn, my 'Mum', states.

"Don't avoid the question. Is Blake my biological brother or not, mother? Or should I say, Evelyn?" I spit.

"Blake is...." she pauses, a frown etching it's way onto her face. "He is..."

"I'm not your brother," Blake interrupts.

I sat there dumbfounded, too shocked and angry to say anything. Silence fills the house as no one dares to speak. An abundance of questions rush through my mind but I push them aside for the time being. I need to hear what my 'parents' have to say.

Will takes the silence as an opportunity to speak. "Evelyn. Robert. Please tell us everything from the beginning". He grabs my hand and squeezes it. "We need to know what happened".

I nod my head in agreement.

With a minuscule sigh, Dad begins. "To understand everything Cali, you need to know who your birth parents were. Evelyn's brother, Adam, was your father. He was Alpha of the Notoria pack, which used to be one of the most powerful packs in the world. Outsiders feared him, but his pack members did not. They respected him, were loyal and worshipped him. A bloody brilliant Alpha, he was. Always looking out for his pack, treating them like family. I know this because I was temporarily held captive there before I met Evelyn", he pauses, looking at his wife with complete admiration.

"I witnessed everything first hand," he says, continuing on. "As you know, I am a Tarpio, a hunter of supernatural beings. One of the best actually. But your father outwitted me when I was out tracking one evening. He was my mission. Locate him, then terminate him. I wasn't given a reason as to why, except to follow orders and get the job done. If I didn't comply, there were consequences".

"What type of consequences?" I ask.

"He's getting there, love," Evelyn answers for Robert.

He continues, "So I'm taken back to Notoria territory and thrown into a dungeon for God knows how long. I went many days without food or water, and at that point, I had lost all hope of surviving. At first I thought the Notoria pack were ruthless and merciless, until I saw Evelyn".

Robert grasps Evelyn's hand in his, and they share a distant look, as if they were remembering their first experiences together.

Roberts clears his throat before beginning to speak again, "Evelyn rebelled against the pack oath to keep me alive".

Evelyn interjects, "I knew from the moment I saw him, I would do everything in my power to save him," she smiles at him, "even if that meant defying my brother, the Alpha". Her eyes are downcast, as her smile wavers, obviously missing her brother dearly.

Roberts then chuckles wryly, taking over from Evelyn. "Adam eventually found out and let me tell you, he was certainly not happy about us going behind his back. All the furniture had to be replaced in his office. He was angry at the fact that Evelyn didn't tell him we were mates".

"How old were you when this happened?" Blake asks.

"We were in our early twenties. The age where werewolves are most likely to find their mates," Robert replies. "Right Cali?" he adds, now looking at me. My face begins to heat up as everyone turns to face me.