5 - Welcome to Strawberry

On Sunday, Ethel's entire body ached from the ass-kicking he has earned himself last night. He told Colm what exactly he thought about his father's business and attitude. Colm beat him until he couldn't move anymore. However, the beating only stoked the fire growing in Ethel's belly. He had made himself a plan last night while he attempted to clean out the cut on his side from when Colm tossed him into the horse's water trough. He had even forbidden that anyone help him in cleaning it.

Ethel gathered the stuff he would need and tied his blue bandana around his neck. Brushing down his horse, ironically named Pepper, he fed her a couple of treats. If there was one thing he enjoyed about this gang, it was his horse. He had found her roaming up in the Grizzlie mountains by an icy lake. Pretty thing with a temperament almost about as level as Ethel's. He thought she was a Carmelo dutch warmblood, and if Joe's judgment was anything to go by, he was correct. Joe was their assigned horse watcher, he kept them fed, clean, and happy when their owners couldn't, which was often around this group of ruthless hearts.

Ethel had lassoed her and she gave him the worst ass kicking he had ever received from a horse, sent him right ass over tea kettle into the icy lake and dragged him along until he got caught up in a tree and they'd both been forced to a halt. Colm and Roy laughed until they were sore, not bothering to check if he was okay or assist him. Made him struggle his way out and force the horse to calm down.

"Alright boys, lets head out. Ethel, Roy, Jimbo, I want y'all up here." Colm declared. Ethel hopped on his horse, stroking her mane for the oncoming abuse she would have to endure during this heist. He thanked god she wasn't easily startled, else she would get him killed.

"Come on, queer." Roy muttered, riding past Pepper and Ethel on his own horse, a mean looking black mare who had lost its left eye in a gunfight. The saying goes something like don't judge a man by his horse. Ethel thought it was ironic, all considering.

The ride to their lookout point over the tracks was fairly short. Ethel might been shaking with nerves at this point, but he was too mad to even think about what would happen to him if he failed or if the other gang didn't agree with his reasonings. He couldn't predict the future either, he's got a vague plan but most of it he needs to play by ear, including the most crucial part.

"D'you know what the fuck we're doin out here? Hate this damn town." Roy leans over, whispering in Ethel's ear as they settle into position. He glances up hill, seeing the river that leads through Strawberry.

"Why didn't you listen to Colm. And you only hate it because all the whores refuse your money." Ethel growls lowly, hearing the train screeching down the tracks before an explosion rocks through the mountain.

"There isn't even a brothel in Strawberry, cowpoke." Roy comments snidely, as if he had finally proved his superior intelligence. Ethel rolled his eyes, tightening his grip on Pepper's reigns. She stomped her hoof moodily, and Ethel could swear he heard her complain about standing still. She didn't like doing that very often.

A gunshot silences the boys. The Van Der Linde gang had began their heist. Colm motioned for them to follow him down the cliff side. One by one Colm, Ethel, Roy, and the rest of the men they brought with them filed down to the tracks and Colm began yelling to the opposing gang.