Guest Of Honor

Only God knows how much I was hating my mom right now. Today, there was a vigil being held for Marlene at a banquet hall. Thank god it wasn't all night, only 9:30 to 11:00. So yeah, I hated my mom right now because of 2 things : not even telling me about this, and 2, waking me up at 7:58 this morning to get to rainbow and get a nice outfit.

"It gets too packed in the atternoons", she said.

"Well I don't care." I answered. Syke. I couldn't even try that with her right now, despite the fact that I left the house yesterday without her knowing. She took my phone, which is my life. In my world, all I need to survive is my phone, free wifi, and food. Simple right?

Well when we got there, I laughed so hard. You wanna know why? They weren't even open yet. We ended up going to the nail salon, (and not even knowing what dress I was wearing), I painted my nails baby blue.

"Uh Stephane, your phone keeps chiming."

"That means I'm getting an email...." I answered, tryna sound rude.

"Here. Check it, and give it right back."

"Whatever." She left, and Lupe did a little turn and said something in his sleep. Anyways, I checked my emails, again from 'Kara.'

I decided, not to hurt, but just to help. I know where you can get a dress. But I'll need a favor. I replied.

What is the favor?

Head down to Rainbow right now, and you'll see a bag. In it is a lovely dress. Don't ask for anything, just take the dress and leave. If you talk to anyone there, there will be consequences.

I headed down there, and definitely my mother would know.

"Stephane Nicole Mirkens, get back here now!"

Uh, why did she always call me by that, knowing how much I hated it?!?? I kept driving, not caring about the consequences.

When I got to Rainbow, there was a bag. And in it was a lovely dress. And yes it matched my nails. There was an officer, standing there, with an awfully large bruise on his face. Oh god, this would be my third time seeing him. I avoided eye contact, but he pulled my shoulder. He had tears in his eyes.

"Um excuse me, don't take the dress." I didn't answer. Who was he to tell me wether to take or not to take this dress? I picked up the bag.

"You don't know how it got here. Don't take the dress."

"Please. Leave me alone." I turned around and hurried to the car. His eyes were filled of worry, and a hint of guilt. I already knew it. He knew something.

When I got home, I added more to my notebook. I put a star by the weird officer and also added one by emails. I avoided running into my mother, which was successful. I caught a glimpse of her drinking tea. I'm not stupid. I took the dress for a reason. I recognized it. This was Marlene's dress. She wore it to Gabrielle's party in sophomore year, also with her necklace. But, how in the world did this person get the dress? And why why why would that officer be there? Is he---watching me? Does he know something? I wanted to ask him what he wanted to tell me on the night of Marlene's death, but I didn't think I'd need to. Maybe I'll meet him again. I explained my findings again to Lupe.

"Okay. So you were emailed to go and get this dress which belonged to Marlene. There was that same officer who was telling you not to, which meant he knew something , right?"

"Right." This is why I liked Lupe. He always made the clues fit into one piece and be more ...simpler to understand.

"So what are we gonna do with it?"