Chapter 1: The Beginning

'The hardest walk is walking alone, but it's also the walk that makes you the strongest' 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes shot open. Slowly my breathing slowed as my racing heart calmed. It was a nightmare like always. I have always had these dreams almost like visions haunting me every time I closed my eyes. Now, they seem to get worse and more real. I could almost envision it, hear the voices, and sense everything. This time the nightmare was of war, blood was everywhere, women and men of all ages were fighting for their lives. Some made it while the others did not. I shook my head to stop myself from thinking about it. As I came to my senses, I sighed. Another sunrise and another day I have to survive. I can already see what will happen today. Chores, loneliness, belittling, and abuse handed down from their Majesties, my mother, and father along with everyone else. Because of them, I've slowly forgotten what happiness felt like, and it looked like it wouldn't change anytime soon.

Long ago it would seem like they had forbidden themselves from loving me, and since then, I told myself to never call them what they are not, parents and my family.

When I was born, I was given the name Eleanor. I am the youngest daughter of King Richard Mauro II and Queen Adela Mauro who are the rulers of the kingdom called Aleria. I also have four siblings, two sisters Princesses Blythe and Adeline and two brothers Princes Antonio and Richard III. To the outside world, our family is perfect and loving, but in actuality, it is the opposite. My family is selfish, wicked and cruel not only to me but to their subjects as well, or so I have heard. By time, I slowly accommodated to their actions.

I got up from the bed and mentally prepared myself for what is yet to come. A knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Come in," I said in authority. It was expected from a princess to never convey emotions, have a stiff upper lip, and never do something out of conduct and always follow protocol.

'Always show authority, presence and never convey emotions for it is a sign of the weak.' My tutor's voice rang in my head.

"Good morning princess Eleanor." My maid said in a chirped voice. Maria, my maid, was the only person keeping me sane in this caged palace. Since I was a babe, she was the one to raise and care for me since my mother, the queen, did not want to. I never asked, but when I did...

'You are unimportant and worthless for me to waste my precious time on. Now run along I do not want to look at you' was what she would always say. I was a mistake and a burden to everyone and I learned to accept it.

"Good Morning Maria" I replied.

"Well let's get you dressed. Breakfast is ready and after that, your tutor, Madame Suzanne, will come to you after you have eaten to begin your lessons for today."

"Thank you. And if you do not mind, I would like to wear a simple dress today" I requested.

"As you wish princess." She complied. To this day, I still do not know why she does not treat me and look at me like the others do. I guess she is too kindhearted to be compared to them.

I headed towards the dining room to eat breakfast with whoever was still there. My family never sat with me or talked to me unless they wanted me to run their errands. And the staff was never allowed to stay and dine with me even if they wanted to, their Majesties' orders. As I walked the lonely hall leading to the room, I started thinking. Why don't I just run away? They will not even care. I reasoned with myself. Even if I did, how would I fend for myself? And where would I go? I don't know what is beyond these palace grounds since I've been sheltered all my life. All I know are these walls that confine me and suffocate me slowly each passing day.

I finally reached the room. It was a big room. Beautiful crystal chandeliers hung from the high ceiling, the floor was decorated with a rich red carpet, the walls were covered with paintings that give them color. In the middle of the room was a long dining table made from a dark wood that has been polished and chiseled to perfection fit for royalty. Pushed into it, were luxurious chairs shaped like thrones that are enough to seat twenty citizens from the highest ranks in this kingdom. And just as I expected, no one was here, just how I liked it. I sat down and began eating the cold food that was left for me. How generous of them. I finished my meal of cold porridge with bread and headed back to my isolation, my room.

I sat in my room awaiting my tutor to come while reading a book. All these years I have become engrossed in books. They were my only escape from the harsh life I lived. Shortly after, my tutor, Madame Suzanne came. She was a middle-aged woman with a petite body, porcelain skin contrasting with her dark features. Madame Suzanne to say the least was a very strict lady. She hated tardiness, uncleanliness and was keen on discipline and rules that should not be broken, all the things that I have done. Come to think of it, that may be the reason she dislikes me.

"Good evening Princess Eleanor, today we will study the history of your family's ancestors in more depth than previously." She informed me.

Well, this will be boring...

"Let us begin." She said. "The first of the bloodline was....." She began her teaching and I slowly began to daydream. The lesson seemed to drag on for hours when in reality it was only half an hour. "Now I think this will do for today" My tutor concluded ending the session. After she left I picked up the book I was reading and continued to read.

I was soon disrupted from reading when a knock sounded on my door. "You may enter" I enjoined. The tall dark Bruce wooded double doors opened and Maria entered. "What is the matter...?" I asked when I observed her; she looked like she came bearing horrible news." Is everything all right?"

"Well my dear, their majesties requested you." She told me.

Maria was the only person whom I told everything to. She knew of the treatment I got from them, and every time she would only say the sweetest things to me for comfort, and for that, I appreciate her more than anything

Their Majesties? What do they want from me? "Of course where am I to go?" I asked her.

"In the Throne room my dear" She informed me. "And I suggest you change into a proper outfit..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Thank you for clicking on my friend and I's story, I hope you enjoy it!

Everything in this story is fiction and are from us, except for the photos and quotes where I got them online.

Much lovexoxox