Roses Dream Part 1 "Basket"

Roses Dream (Part 1 "Basket") by Doris

My name is Roses. There is not much that you need to know about me. Just remember that the color of my iris is brown and my long wavy hair easily dances with the wind. You do not need to know how old I am or where I am from. I grew up just like you. I had a normal life. I went to school. I went to work. I went to church. However, there is something that differentiates me from you. That something is actually a someone. Let me tell you about that someone.

It all begun one Monday morning. The alarm mercilessly rang a couple of times. Lazily, I pressed the snooze button. The alarm rang again two minutes later. This time I just woke up. I dragged myself to the bathroom and looked at the mirror on top of the sink. I saw a blurry reflection of myself. In front of me was a monsterous mess. My hair was in knots, my eyes was bloodshot red, and I could smell the scent of my drool that had dried out during the night. 'How did I end up like this?' I asked myself.

Nobody likes Monday mornings very much. Grudgingly, I turned on the faucet in the bathtub. I then reasoned to myself that I could still get five to ten minutes of sleep while waiting for the tub to fill up. I slowly went back to bed and it felt like heaven.

 "Wake up!" someone shouted from somewhere. Startled by the voice, I stood straight out of bed. To my dismay, upon touching the ground, my feet became wet.

'Ugh, I forgot to turn the water off!' I went back to the bathroom and quickly shut the water. My room was flooded with lukewarm water about half an inch high. 'I guess I can't get to work now'.

Hurriedly, I ran downstairs to the storage room. I grabbed a bucket and my trusty mop (believe me, this incident did not only happen once). As I was going back to my room, the doorbell rang. 'Should I just ignore it?' I asked myself. I decided to go and see who it was.

My door doesn't have those peepholes that help you see who is at the other side of the door. I had to yell "Who is it?" before opening the door. "Special delivery." came the reply.

'Ooooh, who could it be from?' I excitedly wondered to myself. Slowly, I opened the door. To my surprise, no one was there. Looking down, I saw on top of my WELCOME HOME mat was a basket.

'Oh, no, please don't be a baby!' I secretly prayed in my head. I'm not ready to be a mother of another person's child. For a few seconds, I hesitated to pick it up. It was a rather huge basket. I listened for any noise. There was none present. It gave me such relief that my "baby inside a basket" theory was a negative. What could be inside the basket? I bended and took a closer look. There was a note at the side of the basket and it said, "From: Blue Sky" (I actually read it out aloud).

"Yes, the weather is good today!" Mister Peterson waved at me. He was my next door neighbor. Apparently, he heard me reading the note. I was puzzled for a moment. I replied, "Yes, today's weather is good! Good morning to you!" and then I smiled. 'Awkward' I thought to myself. He waved back and proceeded to check his mail box.

I stared at the basket a little longer. I decided to take it in. I placed it on top of the kitchen counter. Carefully, I lifted the cover up. Inside, was about a dozen different colors of roses. I saw red, burgundy, white, yellow, and even blue roses. I was speechless even in my head for about half a minute. Then my thoughts rushed in, ''Who in the world would give me these? Perhaps a secret admirer? Maybe, a stalker? My mom? Why would she send me roses? Well, my name is Roses, but that does not mean that anyone is obligated to send me roses'. My only clue was the note that said, "From: Blue Sky."

Then I remembered about my flooded room, 'Crap', I thought.