Chapter 85: The Final Chapter

Start from the beginning

At home, Su Jian pretty much became the most protected person in the house. Not only were the servants warned repeatedly to pay attention to third young master's wife's needs, but even the An family members warmed up even more towards Su Jian. Knowing that Su Jian was pregnant, An Yiheng who just happened to be out filming a movie forcibly cleared up some time to go home. In addition to a bunch of maternity and infant products, he also brought a large stack of autographed pictures from major movie stars. Even the mysterious oldest brother, An Yitian, that Su Jian hadn't even met yet had made a telephone call to Su Jian and sent generous gifts. An Yirou didn't even have to be mentioned. She moved back to school as soon as she heard Su Jian was pregnant and would check in frequently on how her sister-in-law and the baby were doing. And while father An treated Su Jian warmly, it was now supplemented with occasional concern as if he was treating Su Jian like a daughter.

The biggest change was seen in mother An. Even though mother An was still a bit cold to Su Jian to her face, it was a departure from the formerly critical Elder Rong. Now she had become a 'caretaker in both name and reality. Every day, she made Su Jian eat, rest, and limited his screen time. If Su Jian felt even the slightest discomfort, she would worry. Confronted with mother An's panicked suspicion of every tree and bush, Su Jian who was usually carefree felt very distressed. He secretly muttered, "How could it be so easy to miscarry? And even if I did miscarry, couldn't I just get conceive again?" Who would have known that once mother An knew Su Jian had said that, she immediately and ruthlessly lectured him, "You think that it's only the child's problem? Miscarriages are very harmful to a woman's body. Don't you want to live?"

That night, Su Jian touched his chin as he laid in An Yize's arms, "Why do I get the feeling that mom's words were out of concern for me?"

An Yize laughed, "Mom has always been worried about you. When you went to teach in at-risk areas, mom would always ask me about you. It was just that you didn't know."

After mother Su learned that Su Jian was pregnant, she was delighted beyond belief. She stubbornly dragged her sick self to call on Su Jian and had prepared to take care of her daughter herself. It took a Herculean effort by Su Jian and An Yize, both worried about her health, as well as mother An's personal vehement guarantee that she would definitely take good care of Su Jian to make her drop the idea and go home to take care of her own illness.

With harmonious and friendly coworkers, lively yet obedient students, and a family that treated him with utmost care, Su Jian felt that he lived a very comfortable life. Especially after three months, the bad side effects disappeared. Su Jian couldn't help but feel that pregnancy actually seemed to not be so hard!

Su Jian had actually heard in the office from coworkers who had already become mothers that even though pregnancy was difficult, the feeling of growing another life was indescribable. When Su Jian felt it for himself, he discovered that other than the amazement at seeing his own stomach grow big as if it was a balloon being blown up, he didn't have many of those so-called maternal feelings that everyone talked about. Occasionally he'd get dragged to some baby store by mother An. His neighbor mothers-to-be would carry expressions of tender happiness, yet he would usually feel bored and embarrassed. Thus, he often slipped away secretly to the neighboring toy store. Then, when he became engrossed in playing, he'd be dragged back by mother An.

However when he came home at night and watched An Yize gently kiss his stomach tenderly with a worshipful face, a tendril of some kind of feeling would surface and he'd suddenly feel as if enduring this torment was pretty...worth it.

But he still felt regret. Lying in the crook in An Yize's arm, he sighed, "Everyone says that once you have a child, don't even think about having a carefree life again. Ay, I wanted to have two more years with just the two of us!