Chapter 10 - Dinner

Chapter 10 - Dinner (Warning unedited ⚠️)

         "So, Alexander how old are you exactly," My father questioned curiously. His face held no emotion.  I found myself sinking deeper into my seat. This is awkward. This was my father's first question of the evening, and I just know that it won't be his last.

       Alexander gulped down his drink and set his glass on the table. "I'm twenty four." My father nodded, pleased with his answer.

         "You study at Harvard, with my daughter, am I correct," Alexander nodded and gave me a quick glance. "What is your major?"

         "Law."

          My father nodded again.

           "What is your name, Alexander," My father asked. What the fuck is he talking about? He already knows his name. What a stupid question to ask. And why does he keep repeating "Alexander" over and over again? Like damn, he's making me grow tired of the name, and I thought I would never get tired of hearing his name.

            "Excuse me?"

             Alexander looked as confused as I was. He shifted in his seat and tilted his head.

          "Your last name, son. What is it?"

            Alexander and I both looked at each other. If the word Michaels comes out of his mouth, I WILL KILL HIM.

            "Jackson, sir. My last name is Jackson." He responded. Yes! This dinner might go pretty well after all.

            My father nodded, "Are you in a . . . Romantic or sexual relationship with my daughter?"

           I don't know how it happened or when, but before I knew it I was choking on my mother's chicken, and Alexander was laughing like my suffering was the most amusing thing in the world.

             "Slow down, Mia," my mother chuckled as she shook her head.

              I took as sip of my drink and tried to compose myself. What the hell! I wasn't even close to dating Alexander, and the sexual part was . . . Just . . . disgusting.

             "Your daughter is a very . . . special girl, but I assure you that our status is just friends," Alexander chuckled.

           For the first time since this dinner started my father cracked a smile. "That's good to hear. I thought I would have to give you the ole break-my-daughter's-heart-and-I'll-kill-you speech."