Chapter 14: Clingy Human

Start from the beginning

Rayla recognized the sent, but couldn't quite place it. She took a small sip and almost spat it out, but managed to force it down.

"Blech, that tastes like wood!"

"Well, it is tea made from willow bark, so that would be an accurate assessment." The healer smirked. "Drink up, it'll help."

"You should wake that one soon, before his food gets cold." Kairn gestured to Callum as she strode out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Rayla took several more gulps of the tea until it was gone, shuddering at the bitter taste.

She began stroking the prince's hair in an effort to wake him again.

"Callum," her voice barely above a whisper. "It's time to wake up."

"Okay mom, give me a minute," he mumbled.

Did he just call her 'mom'? Her heart swelled. She reminded him of his mother, the one woman in his life he truly loved. From what Callum told her, his mother was an esteemed warrior, and had a furious heart for her family. She loved them with everything she had. Rayla was honored at the comparison, even though she knew she would never be truly worthy of it.

"Okay, my prince," Rayla sniffed. Tears welled up in her eyes as she kissed the boy's head. "I hope to make your mother proud. Wherever she is."

"What was that, Rayla?" Callum asked, sitting up. He looked at her with groggy eyes.

"Oh, uhh, nothing." Pausing to think, she decided that she was going to bring this up again with him, later. "I love you, Callum."

He drew a broad grin. "I love you too, Rayla."

His expression turned to uncertainty. "Is it okay if I kiss you?"

She gave him a mischievous smirk. "You better."

The broad grin returned for only a moment before his lips made contact with hers. The kiss held just as much passion and vigor as the first, only this one felt ever so slightly more practiced. It also had the benefit that Rayla's lips weren't so dry as previously. There was, however, a minute downfall.

Callum was the first to break contact. He brought his sleeve up to his mouth to wipe it off.

"Rayla, why do your lips taste like wood?"

"Oh, sorry. I should've told you. The tea that Kairn...?" Her pause asking if she had the name correct, to which Callum confirmed with a nod, "that Kairn brought me to help with the pain was made from willow bark, and, well, that's what it tastes like."

"Well, it looks like she brought us some moonberry juice. Maybe we could try that again after drinking it, eh?"

"For once in my life, I like the way you're thinkin', dummy."

Callum turned sheepish and Rayla wondered if her joke had been too much.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked with a small frown.

"Sorry for not asking the first time I kissed you."

She was taken aback for a moment. "What? No, you have nothing to apologize for. I was actually kind of happy you didn't ask and you just did it."

"So you're not opposed to surprise kisses?"

"I can't say they'll always be appreciated, but I'll let you know when they aren't. For the time bein' though, keep 'em comin'," she sniggered. "After we eat, of course. I'm starving."

The question tugged at her heart. Would Callum's mother have liked her? And what of his father, whom she was ordered to kill? Would they have been prejudiced against her because she was an elf, and attempted to force her and Callum apart? Or would they have accepted her for who she was, and taken her in like a daughter?