Chapter 14: Clingy Human

Rayla stirred at the scent of their dinner, and her hungry stomach made itself evident, waking her the rest of the way. She realized she hadn't eaten in four days and was absolutely starving.

Upon opening her eyes she discovered that her head rested on Callum's shoulder still. It was a surprise, but a welcome one at that. She breathed in deep, and groaned at the ache in her side. She attempted to reach her good hand over to hold her side in an effort to soothe the ache, but was hindered as she noticed she was already holding something.

She smiled and squeezed Callum's hand, nudging him lightly with her elbow.

"Wake up, dummy. Food's here."

He moaned slightly as he roused. "Food can wait...you're really comfortable..."

Rayla chucked. "Well at least let go of my hand. I haven't eaten in days, and I'm not about to let my hot meal go cold."

"No, I need it. It's mine." He mumbled as he nuzzled closer to her, grabbing her hand with both of his now.

"Callum-" she was interrupted as he let out a loud, obviously fake, snore.

"Cal-" he did it again.

Rayla grumbled, but managed to wrestle her hand from his grip. He was decidedly unhappy about this. He proceeded to wrap his arms around her torso, mumbling, "fine, I'll just take the rest of you then." Miraculously, he managed to miss both of the tender areas of her left side with his embrace. Unfortunately, this did nothing to help her predicament.

"Clingy human," she sighed.

Rayla couldn't help but find this endearing, however. Even in his half awake state he never wanted to let her go. She smiled down at him and kissed the top of his head as it rested on her chest.

Meanwhile, Kairn silently watched the whole exchange. "You two are utterly adorable, do you realize?"

Rayla flushed upon realizing her audience, but the healer ignored her embarrassment.

"I would have woken you sooner, but you both just looked so cute! I couldn't bring myself to ruin the moment." She sighed, "sorry I keep walking in on you like this. I truly do have impeccable timing." Rayla let out a mildly uncomfortable chuckle at her dripping sarcasm.

"Mind if I take a look at your shoulder?" Kairn asked, and Rayla nodded hesitantly.

The Sunfire elf stepped to the side of the bed and leaned over to untie the knot in the sling over Rayla's right shoulder. "I'll do my best to not disturb your friend," she said with a smirk as she gently lifted his head to gain access to the injured arm. "I'm going to test your range of motion. It's going to be uncomfortable since your muscles had already began adjusting to their new position before realigning the joint. Let me know when it becomes unbearable."

Rayla hissed slightly as arm was brought almost perpendicular to her chest. Kairn stopped immediately. She then moved it outwards until she began feeling resistance. Humming in approval, she then bent it up towards Rayla's head, who hissed again. Nodding to herself, Kairn placed the arm back into the sling.

"My prior diagnosis still stands. You should have full range of motion once your ribs are finished heeling." She paused. "How are those feeling, by the way?"

"Still pretty sore. Hurts to take a deep breath or laugh."

"Hmm, yes. They're mending. It was a full break, was it not?"

"Yeah. Two broken clean through, and one cracked."

Kairn nodded again. "Drink this tea. It will help with the pain," she said as she poured it from an enchanted teapot into a small cup, handing it over once it was full.