Chapter 2: A small fox

Chapter 2 - A small fox

Tarana's POV:

"Don't forget to bring our basket, dear.", an intimate voice exclaims to me, a voice I haven't heard for a while. Loud birds twittering surrounds me, and I can sense the pleasant smell of freshly cut grass. But, although I can feel so much, I lack one thing: I can't see anything. Darkness is surrounding me. My other senses are screaming towards me to get rid of that darkness. But, how can I get rid of it? I don't even know where I am. Or what time is it? What happened?

"There you are, dear." the intimate voice came closer, and a warm hand was put on my shoulder. "You're dreaming again, aren't you?"

A soft chuckle could be heard. Tears were filling my eyes. This familiar warmth, this bland odor - It can't be. Finally, I was able to open my eyes, slowly recognizing the green surroundings, before I turned around. I smiled faintly. I remembered this reality, but I didn't understand why I was there. This happened so many years ago. Why is this happening? Why is he here?

"No, I'll bring the basket, little bear."

My sight became indistinct before he could come closer to me to give me a heartwarming hug. Then, the trusted surroundings disappeared, and I couldn't even say a word anymore. I tried to scream or grab his hand at least, but no sound came out of my mouth. So instead, I only grasped after dust.

"Please don't go, my little fox. We need you." these words began to echo inside my head repeatedly. The voice duplicated itself. Many voices overlapped themselves. Desperately, I screwed up my eyes, trying to cover my ears, and fell to my knees. Although I couldn't see or feel anything, my sense of hearing couldn't take this anymore. I had to get out of here!

"Don't leave us!"

"But you left me, little bear."

3rd Person POV:

It's dark around the red-haired young lady. Her vision is blurry. While she's trying to calm her breath, she realizes that her face has gotten wet. Hot and salty tears are weeping down her cheeks. Only her trembling breaths fill the room, hard to ignore. She wipes her tears away, takes one deep breath, and tries to feel her way in the dark until she feels a smooth surface of a mahogany bedside table. She found the light switch of the bedside lamp and turned it on. It lighted the room, and Tarana could now recognize where or why she was lying in a bed. It's not her room. The walls are cold but in a soft creamy color, which made her feel a bit better. The bed she was lying in was a small but lovely one - the bed frame was decorated luxuriantly, with a back padding and beautiful ornaments on the mahogany wood. It's not only the bed or the bedside table that made Tarana unsettled. The highest quality furniture was beautifully decorated throughout the room and not easy to get. How can Karma afford such beautiful furniture? Is it because of her calling to care for the peace of Ionia? Tarana needed a few minutes to realize why she was in such a room. It was Karma's room for guests. The thing was that Tarana isn't a simple guest. Tarana is someone who was not expected.

"Good morning, Tarana," Karma greets the redhead with a friendly smile on her lips, covering her anxiety about the recent incidents. "You're up early. Is everything alright?"

Karma's voice was still clouded by concern, which Tarana noticed immediately. She briefly ruffles her long hair and enters the large, spacious kitchen. A female cook can be seen near the stove, preparing pancakes and eggs with bacon. Tarana tilts her head to the side, confused about the female cook Karma has. In the meantime, Karma is already sitting at the dining table and drinking a cup of calming green tea. It seems like Karma's typical situation to have domestic aid.

"S-Sure. Everything is alright, Karma." Tarana forces herself to smile, although she's still not in the mood to show herself happy. "I just couldn't sleep any longer."

"Then have a seat. Today I will bring you to your new home. After you're there, you're on your own", announces Karma.

"And you'll be watched from a distance," she adds in her thoughts.

"I'm fine with that. Thank you for everything, Karma."

"It's my duty to make sure you're alright.", was her only answer before the silent breakfast began. Usually, Tarana likes to talk with people during a meal, but Karma was quiet, focused on an ancient book she held in her hands. Tarana couldn't read the letters on the book cover. It was alien to her.

"Maybe it's the Ionian language itself." She tried to calm herself down with that thought before continuing her meal. "I should ask her to teach me the Ionian language and other ancient ones one day."

After breakfast, Tarana picked up a small bag with important things she was carrying and her instrument case with her violin in it. She can't imagine leaving her instrument alone, especially in foreign places. What if she needs a break from that? She can't find her inner peace that fasts without her playing the violin.

"You're ready, Tarana?"

Tarana nodded quietly, holding her instrument case in her hand. Although she was already here for two days, she still felt insecure about her decision to be here. Her mind is yelling, asking all the time why she left anything behind. 

However, her answer was always the same: "I did this for my safety. I also deserve happiness!"