Chapter 0: Prologue - And now, the curtain rises

Chapter 0: Prologue – And now, the curtain rises

Third POV:

"Are you sure today's conditions are suitable for the implementation of that experiment?" asks the assistant of the ingenious scientist, worried while following him step by step. The older man with grey hair still strives against the experiment the scientist wants to try out today. It's a fetching Tuesday in the afternoon. Outside it's still warm, but the cold wind makes it harder to wear shorter clothes; it's autumn. The scientist, a young man who doesn't look like he's already 45 years old, overlooks the whole scenario of preparation for the first official tries to make his masterpiece of science work. In their white lab coats, other workers and assistants are still working on the round-shaped scaffolds that will work properly as the first portals to other worlds and galaxies when the electricity issue is solved. The scientist strokes his brown hair before turning around to his good old friend and labor partner, Jeffrey Duncan. "The electricity issue is almost solved, but failure risks are still too high."

"The conditions are just perfect, Jeffrey, my old friend," answers the scientist and puts his hand on his partner's shoulder. He is a bit smaller than the scientist and five years older. You may be thinking he has more experience than the scientist in glasses, but it's quite the opposite. While Jeffrey Duncan, a proud scientist of Physics, never wants to risk too much and always refuses hazardous experiments because of personal reasons or irrational fear, his friend James Knight never denies even one of them. Once he tastes blood, nobody can stop him at his work or, as he loves to call it: Masterpiece. "Everything is going to work as I calculated it."

"B-But what if something happens to the volunteers?"

"Nothing's going to happen, my dear friend," James counters immediately without even thinking twice about it. "I simulated over 60 possible problems that could cause a disaster, and I've found a solution for every single one of them. So nothing can go wrong."

"If you say so," Jeffrey sighs and follows the look of his old friend, who wants to make sure everything's working correctly. They are both working on that portals for over ten years. It must work somehow. "Maybe James's right, and I think way too negative again. He loves the fun of being ambitious and being stretched to his limits."

"It has to work. Recently, I checked all important settings and programs. I even made sure that the most annoying issues about the electricity couldn't disturb us anymore. My colleagues are just checking the last important settings for me. These portals are going to need a lot of juice to work properly. This masterpiece will make me even more popular than I used to be before. Everyone will know my name!"

At this instant, the automatic metal door opens itself and four young girls, one different than the other, enter the control room of the giant labor. James had to make sure he would have enough space for his portals and other experiments he planned to prepare soon. The girls gape and look around the magnificent high-tech surroundings. Even the black-haired girl looked up from her pocket mirror with giant brown eyes.

"OMG, this is so going on my blog" from one moment to another, her pocket mirror disappeared in her pink bag, and she began to tap the new info about her current state in her blog. The other three girls roll their eyes.

"How could she even get the chance to be here?" hisses the Australian girl with brown hair and sparkling green eyes to the blonde British girl who encompasses her golden pendant of the necklace. She's nervous, really nervous. Although she is happy to be here and can make her dream come true to live in a new world where she isn't one of the eight siblings, she's still worried. What if the option to go here was wrong? What if she isn't happy afterward?