6; Redbone

Disco.

Disco is more than just a music genre– it's an emotion, a lifestyle, a culture.
It was a pure form of love, be it self or selfless.

Whit & I, the inseparable duo, spent a Saturday night in New York, dancing our worries away to the tune of The Whispers. Nothing could've broken us away from our high.

I held Whitney from behind as we grooved. This was a place of solace and freedom– we didn't need to worry about who saw us and what others thought of us.

We felt so free.

So, it was only right that our impromptu Saturday night in NYC turned into a routine. Every Saturday, we frequented the disco club known as Shanty's and freed ourselves just to turn around and be back in Newark for church mere hours after.

It was exhausting yet exhilarating.

Each Saturday, I fell even deeper in love with her and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think she was falling for me, too.

Our friendship had peaked and the intimacy was so strong, a feather could break the walls down, merging our friendship into romantic partnership.
At least that's my hope.

Cissy had much to say about it but she couldn't deny the fact that her daughter was visibly free without sin.
Her album was doing well and she was on the rise to fame.

Her association with Jermaine Jackson was a bonus but Whitney was talented. That was undeniable. This woman was no industry gimmick.

And despite this newfound notoriety, Whitney hadn't switched up. She didn't make new industry besties. She made it clear that I would always be her priority. If I didn't go with her, she simply didn't go.

Initially, I was worried about what my affiliation would do to her reputation so early in her career, yet she reassured me that I could've been a poisonous snake and she still wouldn't be seen without me. So, I eventually stood tall and took pride in being Whitney's right hand woman. I'd do whatever I needed to as long as Whit was happy.

1985 and 1986 were endlessly celebratory for us. I couldn't even recall a bad day we had.

So, when 1987 came around and the clouds came, I wasn't surprised at all. I knew too much sunshine would kill us, so it had to rain. And boy, did it rain hard...

"She's a bad influence on you, Elizabeth! Look at you! Dressing like a loose hussy and going where? New York??? Satan's City?"

Whitney rolled her eyes before responding.
"Oh fucking kay! If you gon' keep bitching about Robyn and I, could you at least bring me something new? You've been saying she's a bad influence for over 7 years. It's exhausting. What do you want? If it ain't you, it's daddy trying to get me to sign that deal so he can eat off my money while I get the short stick, having to live under his control just to see one fucking dollar of MY money! I'm sick of it, honestly. Disown me! I don't give a damn. Consider this me coming out. I like women, mommy! Who the fuck cares? If God can't love me for that then maybe I am better off with his fallen angel!"

My eyes widened as Cissy's hand came across Whitney's face. It happened so quickly, I couldn't even process what she just said before being met with ultimate shock.
My shock soon turned into anger and for Whitney's sake, I chose peace above violence.

"Both of you, cut it out! Whitney, no matter how she feels, that's still your mother. Cissy, kiss my ass. I'm more pure than your deacon board at church. Isn't Deacon Williams a multiple offense rapist? Wait, isn't Deacon Amos a pedophile with pending charges for molesting his own children? The church isn't as holy as you think. I mean, for fuck's sake, aren't you committing adultery every Thursday night when you're staying late for "choir practice?" Miss me with the influence bullshit."