"Nothing like that. Even if it was, I doubt you would let me leave your side."

"Probably not." He kissed my cheek. "Did you bring stuff for practice?"

"I'm not actually practicing, remember. It's a simple try out."

"So, you're going to wear your gym clothes?" I nodded as a smile grew on my face. Finn laughed as the bell rang. Taking my hand, we walked to our lockers, then to class.

Skipping out of class early, I went to the locker room and swapped my street clothes for the cheap nylon shorts and unflattering grey shirt that I had cut into a tank. Shoving my clothes in the bag, I slipped out the door leading to the field. The football team was filtering out of their own locker room as I let the warm sun kiss my skin. A heavy body bumped into mine.

"Little Lester," Keegan cheered when I looked up at him. "Finally joining in the fun?"

"If Coach agrees with those idiots," I pointed to my brother and his pose as they stared back at us. I wiggled my fingers dramatically at them. They all turned to follow their teammates to the field except for Finn, who hung back. He took my hand in his when we caught up. Keegan chuckled as he held his hands up in surrender.

"With careful consideration," Coach Gilly boomed after the team gathered. He glanced at me on the sideline bench then back to his team. "Blaine Lester has been allowed the chance to try out. You will show her the same respect as your other teammates. I better not hear of any problems. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Coach," the team bellowed.

"Alright," Coach Gilly looked to his assistant coaches. "Warm-up, drills, routes then the try out."

I watched as the team went to the endzone to start their sprints. Coach Gilly looked at me before mumbling something to his offensive coach. The younger man sauntered over to me and stood beside me with his arms crossed.

"You should warm up, too."

"Give me a ball."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not waiting till the end of practice. Gilly certainly doesn't want me hanging around. I'll be surprised if he even actually lets me on the team," I mumbled before taking a breath. "Lester's don't do sympathy."

"Coach," the man shouted. All eyes fell to us and heat raced up my neck. "Lester says she wants to get it over with."

I could see my brother put his hands on his hips from the corner of my eye. Coach Gilly nodded and waved at the boys. The assistant grabbed a ball from the bag and tossed it to me. Coach walked everyone through how things would go. They would only run basic plays, no hits and I was supposed to throw to the intended targets.

Lucas grinned at me from the other side of Joseph. The feeling of the grooved leather grazing my fingertips brought a sense of peace and confidence in my mind. It was just a pick up game, but with more people. Even if I didn't make the cut, at least I could say I got to play with the team once. The center took the ball from me with a knowing grin.

He got into position as Shane shouted out the play from somewhere over my shoulder. The ball was snapped, and I caught it. Seeking Finn, I watched him slip past one of the defenders only to be blocked by two more. Glancing to my left, I switch the ball in my hands and threw with my right to the open receiver. The ball swirled and met his hands with ease. He slowed his pace as the whistle blew and trotted back to the line.

"Again," Coach shouted. Shane nodded to me, and I called out a different play. Joseph's body shook as he held in a chuckle. The ball was snapped and this time I took a few steps back, deeper into the pocket. Prepared for Finn's coverage, the ball was cradled in my right hand. A flash of copper from the corner of my eye and I rolled the ball to my left and threw it without hesitation. Finn jumped to catch the ball and landed gracefully on his feet.