CHAPTER 40

New Years Eve. December, 2001.

The wedding guests returned to Jamie Stewart's beach front mansion to discover an amazing transformation. All of the wedding decorations had been replaced by New Years Eve banners, balloons, ribbons, and a blizzard of other paraphernalia. A large wooden dance floor had been placed in front of the gazebo. Mini bars had been erected in all of the most convenient locations. Extremely attractive young women, dressed in red mini-skirts and tight white T-shirts, carried trays of filled champagne glasses. A nine piece rock and roll band, featuring songs from the sixties and seventies, occupied the gazebo. A cloudless, star-filled sky embraced the gathering. The male members of the wedding party, including the groom, had exchanged their tuxedos for more comfortable khaki slacks and multi-colored shirts. The female members, except Christine, had changed into white cotton skirts and pink blouses, all matching. Christine wore a pink skirt with a white blouse.

Kerri, still escorting Steve's mother, entered the mansion and was immediately surrounded by a large crowd of admirers, all anxious to meet her and ask questions about the traumatic events of September eleventh. Monty Kaplan, still mesmerized by her beauty, was first in line. While she appreciated the adulation, her priority was to talk to Steve, to wish him well, and to thank him for his kind words.

Jennifer Adams, thrust into an incurable snit as a result of her washroom confrontation with Christine, occupied a bar stool at the massive tiki bar which had been erected beside the gazebo. She inhaled martinis almost as fast as the bar tender could prepare them.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the shaggy haired band leader shouted into his microphone. "You guessed it. It's time for the first dance. I need Christine and Steve to report to the dance floor, on the double. We're gonna make you two fall in love, all over again." To the delight of everyone, the newlyweds hurried to the dance floor and danced to hoots, whistles, and Bryan Adams' 'Everything I do.'

Kerri sipped her wine and watched the dance while a wave of sadness or envy, she wasn't sure which, invaded her mind. In spite of being besieged by admirers, she was alone with no partner, with nothing to look forward to but her impending war with Enerco and the Iacardi shareholders. Steve Monteith was in the arms of his new wife, with nothing to look forward to but a honeymoon, a love child, and a life full of love and happiness.

Shortly after the music stopped, Steve leaned close to Christine's ear. "What's going on with Jennifer?" he asked.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, pretending not to know the answer.

"She's been alone at the bar ever since we got here. I haven't been counting, but I think she's working on her fourth martini."

Christine glanced at Jennifer, then turned to face Steve. "She's upset because I didn't ask her to be my maid of honor."

"I can live without you for a little while. I think you should talk to her. See if you can convince her to slow down."

Christine shook her head. Jennifer Adams was the last person on earth she wanted to talk to. "Steve, this is the happiest day of my life. I'm not interested in playing nursemaid to an immature friend. I just don't want any negative vibes. Jennifer's a big girl. She can handle a hangover."

"Then I'll talk to her. I think she's about one martini away from the floor." He turned and headed for Jennifer. As Christine watched him go, apprehension caused a cold sweat to bathe her forehead.

"Mind if I join you?" Steve asked as he sat on the stool next to Jennifer's.

She turned and stared at him, eyes reddened, pupils dilated, mascara smeared. "Be my guest," she slurred.