Stress

Pressing your ear to the person's chest, you listened as he breathed in and out anxiously. It was abnormal, just as you had suspected. Looking around the building, you frowned. Ten more people had come up to you, claiming to be ill. This turned out to be true, and you were starting to get worried. The soldiers were too close to one another, and colds and other types of coughs spread around easily. Having enough, you had quarantined the medical building.

It seemed to slow down the spread of disease, but only slow it down. You were running dangerously low on supplies, and if you didn't find out a way to get more, these soldiers would only get worse. Tsking, you ordered the soldier to lay back down, hoping that some rest would help him fight it off. Then you did a once-over on all the soldiers, ordering them to wash their hands and drink only clean water from that point on. Hopefully, some cleanliness would help the disease slow down, even more, allowing you a moment's peace.

After rushing back into the medical building, you took a look at the worst of the sick. They all were white and deathly pale and their bodies beginning to thin. Your lips, often in a straight line, curved to a frown at this development. These people were all fit and should have been able to stave off mere colds and sniffles. But all the symptoms that you could see and recorded pointed towards whooping cough, which could only be treated by ginger and garlic.

Luckily, you knew of a village nearby that grew enormous amounts of garlic, which they used to stave off pests. If all went well, then the village would happily give some of their crops to you. But if not, then you'd have to find something else. Standing up, you wiped away some sweat off of your forehead. Your frown turned deeper when you left the tent to find Kouen pacing. It was never a good sign. He turned towards you, looking a little relieved, as his deep frown became a little more relaxed.

"Y/n, how are they?" He asked. You sighed, shaking your head. "That bad?" The Prince asked as he stalked towards you. "Is there anything I can do to help with this? These people are my Empire's soldiers- I am as worried about them as you are. Please, tell me what I need to." You relaxed slightly at his words.

"I need to speak with the healer in a nearby village. The village is notorious for growing garlic, which should help with the soldiers' ailments. Allow me to speak with them, please." You requested, clutching your arm. The male hummed, bringing his hand to his chin as he thought. "Please, this could be the only chance that I can make these soldiers feel better without going back to a major city port! Your people need these herbs, and as a healer, it's my duty to help them! I beg of you, Prince Kouen, allow me to leave!" You begged, sensing his unease.

The male grunted in thought, looking into the distance. He sighed, gesturing for you to follow him. You did, shoes grinding underneath the frosted grass. When you reached the man's tent, you noticed that he had left scrolls unattended and his make-shift bed was in shambles. Looking over the male, you could feel the immense stress that he felt, and his posture was slightly agitated.

"Prince Kouen...?" You asked hesitantly, frowning. Thinking back, his voice had been a little more gritty and rough than you would like. "Are you alright?" you questioned, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. The man stiffened, then relaxed at your touch.

"I can't hide anything from you, can I?" The male's sudden gentleness made you frown worse. Urging him towards his bed, you felt the man's forehead. "I really am not as worse as the others, Y/n. You shouldn't worry," The Prince urged. Shaking your head, you called for a cold bucket to be brought in.

"I won't have you moved to the medical tent, but you really need to relax. As soon as everyone is well enough to move, then we should go back to the nearest of our bases," You told him. Kouen just frowned.