Chapter 2: The Crib Keeps Rocking

"Aye baby!"

"Yea?"

"Can you go pick up Nahla for me, I'm busy and I dropped her off."

"Alright."

"Thanks, love you."

"Whatever."

Nicki giggled and watched him walk out the door. For the next half hour everything was going smoothly until she started doing the laundry.

Growing Strong Elementary

"Daddy!"

"Hey baby, you miss me?"

"Yes."

"How much?"

"More than the stars daddy."

"That's my girl." August kissed Nahla on the forehead. And put her back onto the ground. "Come on let's go see mommy at home."

"Ok." Nahla got into the backseat and strapped on her seatbelt.

"Alright, you all set back their my little angel?"

"Yes."

August pulled off and headed back to the house.

"How was school today?"

"It was fun, we learned about the letter N like my name and how to count to 100."

"Wow, my little girl is so smart. Are you gonna show me how to count to 100 when we get home?"

"Yeah! But daddy...."

"What baby?"

"Are you and mommy still mad at eachother?"

"No, no, no. Why would we be angry with eachother?"

"Because y'all were arguing this morning."

"No Nahla, me and mommy aren't mad at eachother, and to prove it, when we get home I'll give her a big fat kiss."

"Eww! Well can we go out to eat then?"

"I'll see what I can pull together."

Back at the crib.....

"I'm so sick of this nigga just pilling up these clothes in here and not even separating them."

Nicki plundered through the dirty clothes, tossing in all of the whites.

"What the fuck!"

She spotted a smudge of brown foundation on the shoulder of the collared white shirt that AUGUST wore to the club last night.

"Ooooh I got something for that ass! I'm about to fuck a nigga up!"

Nicki grabbed the shirt and a chair and sat in front of the entrance to the house. When she heard the sounds of the key turning into the door she crossed her legs and folded her arms.

"Oh shit! Damn girl you scared the fuck out of me. Why you sitting right there?"

"Hey mommy, I can't wait to tell you about school today!"

"I missed you so much baby, but not right now, I have to talk to daddy ok."

"Is he in trouble, are you gonna fight?"

"No, just go freshen up."

Nahla walked in her pink and gold patterned room and proceeded to play with her toys. Nicki directed her eyes toward a very concerned August. She then pulled out the short with a pissed look.

"What the hell is this, huh August!"

"That's a white shirt."

"Boy don't fucking play with me. Who's fucking cheap ass makeup is this on your shirt from last night."

"Listen baby I ain't got time for this bulllshit here ok."

"Who's is it Aug? Who!"

"Man I don't know what you pressed for I don't know how that got there."

"What broke home wrecker hoe was you hugged up with nigga."

"Nic,you know I would never do no disrespectful ass shit like that to you."

"So you just gonna hide it just like you hid this shirt in the dirty clothes."

"Wait where?"

"You heard me fuck nigga!"

"I ain't even take the shit out the room."

"Mommy, daddy! Stop!"

"I'm sorry baby, mommy is just a little frustrated. Come give me a hug."

Nicki widened her eyes at August.

"I'm sorry daddy."

"For what baby girl?"

"Getting you in trouble with mommy."

"How, what did you do."

"I dropped makeup on the shirt on the bathroom floor this morning when I went to get lotion and-- and----" tears began to fall from her little face.

"And what Nahla? Tell mommy what's wrong."

"I put it in the dirty clothes so nobody will see."

"Come here Nah, wipe those tears from your eyes. You just made a mistake. me and mommy will fix it."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Nahla went back into her room and started working on her homework.

"See, you always arguing with me over some irrelevant petty shit."

"How the fuck was I supposed to know?"

"Common sense, you know I would never hurt you. You got our daughter crying and shit."

"Look I'm sorry, I've really been on edge lately. I just don't want to lose you August, I love you baby. And you know that."

August opened his arms and gripped her tight.

"Just trust in me Nic. Now I gotta hug you like a big baby. I can't even stay mad at you."