Chapter 20 - The Wall

"How are you?" he asked

"I'm okay," I said

"You don't look okay," he said and sat next to me "I'm always there for you, you know that?"

"Yeah," I said

"You can take to me whenever you want," he said as he put his hand over mine.

"Please, leave me alone," I said, pulling my hand away.

He got mad real quick before he got up, "Fine"

Before he could leave, I stopped him, "Wait" 

He turned around, pulling the cigarette away from his mouth.

"Thank you...Dave" I said

"Your welcome," he said as he gave a small smile, returning the cigarette to his teeth.

Ross's laughter pulled me out of one of my earliest memories that I had with Dave, I believe it was a few months into our friendship, and even though we had known each other for a bit, we didn't know the stuff about each other that ended up pulling us together. I turned and looked at him, seeing him licking his teeth, Dave having a smile on his face. I gave a small smile as I looked back in front of me, seeing my father and Demi still holding hands and talking among themselves. I looked back down and watched my feet walk my body forward.

"So, you're telling me, he just ate the nipple?" Dave asked

Ross let out another laugh, "Yea. The neighbor's face was horrified, she thought it was real." 

"That seemed like it was ages ago," Demi said, cutting out of the conversation between her and my dad.

"When was it?" Dave asked, looking at her

"Last Summer," Demi replied, turning her head to look at him.

Dave nodded and looked down, biting his lip before he looked back up and grabbed his cigarette pack out of his pocket, pulling one out. 

"I didn't know you smoked," my father said

"I didn't, sir." Dave said, "Started with the apocalypse." 

My father nodded and looked at Demi, she was whispering something to him. Dave watched and got a little nervous. He proceeded to put the cigarette in his mouth as he put the pack away and grabbed out his blue lighter.

"Does it taste good?" Ross asked

Dave flicked on the lighter and lit his cigarette inhaling before taking the cigarette out, exhaling the smoke, putting the lighter back in his pocket, "Not at all."

Ross nodded and looked down.

"You've never smoked, have you?" Dave asked

Ross shook his head, "No,"

With Demi lost in the conversation with my father, we three slowed down our walking pace as Dave held out his cigarette for Ross to grab.

"I don't want to get addicted," 

"To the taste or the motion?" Dave asked

Ross looked back at him, "Either?" 

Dave put his cigarette back to his mouth and took a drag, "I'm not gonna force you." 

Before Dave could take another drag, Ross grabbed the cigarette and put it to his lips, hesitating at first, but taking a drag, letting his eyes roll back a bit and letting the smoke out, moving the cigarette away from his lips.

"Damn, Ross, eager much?" Dave joked, grabbing the cigarette back and taking another drag.

Ross smiled and nodded, enjoying the company of the friendly Dave. Dave held it out for me, Ross watching me as I took it, putting it to my lips, smiling before I took a drag, giving it back to Dave.

"Bad girl, I like it" Ross whispered, letting go of my hand and putting his arm around my shoulder. I blushed as I held his hand that was over my shoulders. 

My father stopped in his place again, listening again. Dave put out his cigarette, leaving the unused cig on the ground, not worried about it anymore. We all knew what my father was doing, we even started to listen ourselves. Without a minute passing by, we heard the helicopter flying close. We all turned our heads to the sky and watched as it flew miles away, landing somewhere in the distance. We all stared at it and questioned ourselves.

"Damn," my father said, "Let's go,"

We all started to walk again, feeling that we're so close yet so far. I started to wonder if anyone is with them or what they were doing specifically where they landed. I got scared; the past few interactions with people were harmful and it scared me to know what kind of people they were, even if they were part of the Army. But I never knew, it could be some people who took it after the Army men abandoned it or died off. I got cared that we may not make it, that at any moment, the helicopter could start again and fly off, that where it landed was only temporary. I'm scared that we wouldn't make it, that it was just false hope. I lost a lot of things and I don't want to lose anymore, the people I have now is all I have and they mean everything to me. 

"Is that...A wall?" Demi asked, breaking my thoughts. 

We all looked up and there it was; the helicopter landed on top of a big concrete wall, must've taken months to build it and even at certain parts, the wall was still under construction, and the parts that were done looked really worn down.

"What could be on the other side?" Ross asked

"Hopefully, it's good," Dave said.