Chapter 16 - You're Welcome

I watched as Ross' chest rose and fell, his pale skin that was mixed with dark purple and blue spots, that once was warm soon fell to a mediocre temperature that took over the rest of his body. His eyes were gently closed as he took deep breaths in and out, relaxing as he held me close to him in his arms, on his left side. My body still pressed up against his, the body heat between us slowly lowering itself. He moved his left hand up and down the side of my body, rubbing my side and the top of my hip while his other hand rested on my back, my head in the dip of his arm where his elbow is. The air got cold as we calmed down, but we didn't hesitate to get any covers, we just laid there on the bathroom floor, naked, as we felt peace in the silence we created. 

His eyes met mine as he showed a small smile on his face, his hands pulling me closer. He then moved his hand that was on my side to my face and rubbed his thumb on my cheek. 

"You're so beautiful," he said, his eyes not leaving mine.

I blushed as I moved my head down, causing his hand to break free from my skin. He placed his hand back on my side and took in a deep breath.

"You don't think they heard us?" I questioned

I heard him give a small chuckle, "They shouldn't through the marks you've given me," 

I smiled and sat up, getting back on him as I placed my hands on his chest, him placing his hands on my lower back, as he sat up to meet my face.

"I love you," I said as he smiled

He kissed me and pulled back, "I love you too, Jess."

**********

The next day we were back on the road. We made it to the state border and we were now in Illinois. A sign of relief came across us as we saw the sign, it was like we gave high fives and small pats on the back without saying a word or fulfilling the action, but we all just looked at each other and we were thankful for it. Ross and I were closer than ever, and the rest of the group started t notice. We would hug a lot or chill around in poses that couples tend to do, and no one would say anything, but from the corner of my eye, I would see Dave, staring at us from time to time. 

There wasn't really a thing for Dave, he was a nice friend that I needed but I never saw him in a loving dating way. We both knew it, that there wasn't anything between us, and maybe that's what upset him the most. Dave got tenser throughout the days, running through his packs of cigarettes, running low every time he looked at Ross and I. I could tell he wanted what we have, and that he missed having someone close to him like I was to him, and I missed it too; I missed hanging around Dave and coming to him for everything or just to talk, but now he was replaced by Ross, and I don't even feel sorry for it. 

The nights passed on and Ross' and I's relationship grew; It was every other night where we would find places for ourselves and let ourselves become loose, and even after we would stay in each company before we had to get up or before we fell asleep. Ross has been drawing a lot more, and it was mostly drawings of me from his memory, like when we were in each other's arms on the bathroom floor or when I was on top of him most nights, small things like that, but he wouldn't show me them. I would sometimes catch him drawing them and taking his notebook away, which he always got close to make me give it back. It was another game that I enjoyed playing, seeing him melting under me as I look through his work, knowing that he blushes and gets nervous when I see what was on his mind. And I'm not gonna lie, it gets me nervous too every time I look at his work, wondering what it took him to get where he was.

**********

I walked through a small section of trees before I saw Dave's back, him sitting on the ground, his knees up, a cigarette lit in his hand. I walked to him with a deep breath inhaled, exhaling it as I sat down next to him. There was a few more minutes of silence before he took in another drag, letting it out. 

"I'm glad to see that you're happy now," he said, still looking down, his posture letting him sink.

"You sure?" I said as I took the cigarette from his hand, putting it to my lips.

"To be honest..." he hesitated, "I'm not sure." 

I took in a breath and let the smoke out. I took a look at him and I could see it in his eyes that he was sad about everything and everyone. He was the type of person that didn't want to be left out of everything and he easily got jealous when he did, or when a person came to close to someone he loved. He was fine when we hung around Ross, but now that he knows Ross and I are something more, I bet if there were more women in our group, he would've gone to one of them. 

"What are you guys, anyway?" he asked, looking at the cigarette in my hand and took it.

"I don't know," I said pulling my knees up and placing my arms on them.

"What do you mean?" he asked

"I don't know how Ross feels about it," I said

"Has it said it?" he asked, taking another drag

I looked down and nodded "Yea," 

Dave went silent. He had pushed himself up and stood there for a moment, taking another breath and finally looking down at me. 

"You guys seem good together," 

I looked up at him, seeing me being honest.

"Thank you," I said as he took another drag and put it out in the dirt. 

"You're welcome," he said and walked away, leaving me on the ground and alone.