Chapter 5: Detention

Start from the beginning

I give myself a month before I'm calling them by their first names. Out loud anyways; I think that I'll just say their real names in my head until one day it just slips out.

I turn to Cole. "What's your full name?"

He looks up at me, eyes wide, and shakes his head. "Nuh-uh. I will not be reduced to his level of uncoolness."

I glare at him. "Full name. Now."

He pales and shakes his head again.

I turn to Aaron. "Can I stand up?"

He looks at me, confused. "I guess?"

I stand up really fast and quickly jerk towards Cole.

He flinches and immediately speaks. "Cole Finnigan Adams." He says quickly, his arms up to protect his face.

I sit back down, proud of myself.

"You promised, Cassie," Aaron says without looking up from his phone.

"I mean, technically, I didn't physically or emotionally harm him."

Cole scoffs. "I'm not so sure about the emotional part."

Finnigan. Finn. Finny.

"Finny," I declare, and Cole immediately groans.

"No, no, no. Please no, that's almost worse than Frilly."

I shrug my shoulders. "Sorry. It's already in my brain, so I can't call you anything else."

Cole's shoulders sag and I laugh, along with Aaron.

"Shut up, Aaron," Cole and Adrian say together.

Okay, seriously. Am I the only one who finds that extremely creepy?

"Come on, Cass," Cole groans. "Come up with something for Aaron. It's not fair that we get embarrassing nicknames and he doesn't."

"Yeah, that's not fair," Adrian pipes up.

"Cassie won't do that," Aaron says, sure of himself. "She likes me too much, don't you, Cassie?"

I snort. "Not even close, Brewer."

"Why can't you call us by our last names?" Cole whines.

"Because, Finny," I say, taunting him. "I don't want to."

My phone vibrates in my back pocket and I pull it out, seeing that Gabs texted me through the group chat I have with her and Gracie.

Gabs: where are you???

Oh, shit, I forgot; the plan. It's basically where I wait for the monitor to leave the classroom and then I sneak out the window and I go to the parking lot, where Gabs and Gracie wait for me and we drive around and then I go back ten minutes before my detention time is up. It's actually quite genius, and it was my idea, obviously.

Me: coming

"Well, boys," I say as I stand up and stretch. "I'm out. Peace."

Gracie: cass

Gracie: hurry up

Gracie: ur taking forever

Gracie: what's taking so long

Gracie: cassssssss

Gracie: answer me

Me: gracie how the fuck am I supposed to answer when you send six messages in a row in less than a minute