ii

part two
the potters and ringo

Ringo Acton sat at the dinner table next to James, with her head held down and playing with the sleeves of James' jumper

Ringo Acton sat at the dinner table next to James, with her head held down and playing with the sleeves of James' jumper. The Potters has given her one of James' jumpers and a recently washed pair of his boxers. Remus and Peter went back to heir respective homes whilst Sirius went to Vara's.

"So, um, Ringo." Fleamont started, "what happened?"

"Uh... I don't want to talk about it right now." James glanced over to see his friends nervous posture.

"But we need to-"

"Dad. Not right now." James chipped in and after a moments hesitation he sighed and nodded. James took note of Ringo's eyes constantly falling shut only to be snapped open again. "Ringo," he started softly "would you like to go to bed?"

"Oh- I- I can't. Not until everyone's finished eating."

"Why not?"

"Father said that's rude and he'd usually punish me if I did that." She informed the small family, her voice getting significantly quieter.

"Well, darling," Euphemia reached a hand over the table and placed it over Ringo's that was fiddling with the fork, the mother's gentle touch halting her shaky movements. "Off you pop to bed."

Ringo nodded and left the dinner table, trekking her way up the steps and residing in the spare room Mrs Potter said she could use, and fell into a deep slumber.

"Isn't he beautiful?"

"Gorgeous."

All Ringo saw was a dirty blonde woman and a man who resembled her father sitting in St Mungo's with a newborn baby.

"Let's name him Lennon, Lennie for short."

"You really are a fan of the Beatles, huh Penelope." Her father let out a chuckle that was foreign to her as she whispered her mother's name, the word falling easily off her lips.

A five year old Ringo entered the room and Penelope beamed at her whilst pointing at Lennie, Ringo let out an adorable giggle as she looked at her younger brother whilst upon her entering the room, her fathers smile faltered.

It was like he didn't even like her as an infant.

Ringo woke up with a gasp and found herself walking to James' room soon after.

Sleeping made her vulnerable.

She knocked on the door gently, entering once she heard a raspy 'come in'.

"Can I- uh-" without waiting for her to finish James rolled over and patted the bed next to him. Once Ringo was comfortably laying in James' bed, the boy pulled her into a hug.

"Sirius and Vara are coming over tomorrow."

"Thick as thieves them two." Ringo chuckled, noticeably calming down in his embrace. "Do you reckon they like each other?"

"Nah, why? Do you like him?"

Ringo scoffed and hit him in the chest lightly. "Of course not. Plus, now that I think about it, they're practically the same person."

"Like cats and dogs. Hey, maybe that'll be their animagus' because Vara's sassy." James joked, making Ringo giggle lightly before letting out a yawn; then causing James to place a kiss on his best friends forehead before cuddling her in closer.

"Wake up! You're cheating on Evan's mate!" Vara screamed in James ear the next morning, in turn accidentally waking up Ringo. "Oh I'm so sorry darling, you can go back to sleep." She added to the aforementioned girl, causing Sirius to chuckle before he got in the bed next to Ringo. "Aw, it's like a cocoon of support." Vara pouted sarcastically and Sirius flipped her off before shutting his eyes. So, Vara went to the next extreme. She climbed on the bed and jumped, landing on her stomach with one arm and leg over James and the other over Sirius. "Now it's a cocoon of support."

Ringo let out a light chuckle at her friends antics before someone walked into the room, "James have you seen- oh," Euphemia started before letting out a delicate laugh, "come down when you're ready, Ringo, me and Fleamont would like to speak to you if that's alright." She told the girl before leaving the room.

It was half an hour later when Ringo came downstairs to see Mrs Potter making tea and Mr Potter sat at the dining table with the Daily Prophet. Ringo watched from afar, admiring how normal they looked. She made her way over when Euphemia noticed her and waved her over.

The two adults sat across Ringo at the table, Euphemia with a supportive smile and Fleamont with his brows furrowed in concern.

Mr Potter spoke first, "did he do it often?"

"Pardon me, sir, but I'm not sure what you're asking me." Ringo replied, fiddling with her fingers in her lap and letting out a nervous chuckle.

"Your father, sweetheart, was he often... for lack of a better word, abusive?"

Ringo could've just burst into tears, "almost everyday, sir."