Chapter Twenty

Rhodey looked over at me and stepped back.

"Oh shit. You look mad," he said. I grinned and hoped it was maniacal. Steve stood up, groaning and holding his ribs.

"Yeah, I'm mad. You know what else I did?" I said, sending a warning blast at both T'Challa and Rhodey where they stood.

"You didn't..." Rhodey held up his hands and his blasters charged. I nodded.

"That's right. I overdosed. So, don't make me use it," I growled.

"Overdosed? On what?" T'Challa spoke for the first time to me, and I looked at him, conflicted.

"Energy, my dear Ubhuti. Pure, untainted energy."

My hands burned. My eyes blurred, then sharpened. My mind was clear, my heart racing a million miles an hour. I shook all over, like a small tremor before an earthquake.

"You should step back Your Highness. Last time this happened she blew out an entire wall, passed out and didn't wake up for 2 days," Rhodey put a hand out in front of T'Challa, but he pushed it away, intrigued.

"Keight, why would you do that?" Steve said, pulling me out of my daze. I shrugged.

"Thought I might need all the firepower I could get," I replied steadily.

"That was reckless."

"Did you expect anything less?"

"No," he smiled. "I assume you want your brother?" he jerked a finger at T'Challa.

"Of course. What an honour, to fight the King of Wakanda," I snarled, and with one last glance at Steve I threw myself at my brother, using my full force to push him to the ground. T'Challa flew into full fight mode, slashing at me with his Vibranium claws. I couldn't see Steve and Rhodey as he blocked my vision. He flipped me onto my back, pinning my arms. I struggled under his weight.

"Our first reunion in seven years and this is how it goes?" I gasped, kicking out. He cocked his head.

"You sound American," he stated.

"Yeah, well, I was a spy for a while. You tend to lose your accent when you leave your homeland," I grunted and threw him off me.

"I like you better Wakandan," he said, aiming a fist at me. I ducked it easily. I knew him, his fight style, his classic moves. No one else could fight him like I could.

"I liked me better Wakandan too. But we don't always get what we want," I grunted, sending a kick into his chest.

"Why are you doing this? Don't you realize he killed our father?" T'Challa's voice was hard, the voice of a man who had lost and had no time to mourn.

"He didn't. There is no way. He doesn't do that anymore."

"So, you defend him?" I blocked his punch and spun, my knees scraping the ground and my burnt neck searing.

"Yes. I defend a victim. Not a killer," my hands acted of their own accord and fired a blast at him. He was sent flying, his suit protecting him from the blast but not from its momentum.

"Great." Rhodey said a few metres away, his mace broken.

"Hey Cap! Heads up!" Scott threw a small object at Steve, and he caught it. Was that a, toy truck? "Throw it at this. Now!" Steve threw the truck, and a small silver disc collided with it. The truck enlarged, until it was a full scale tanker flying through the air.

"Oh, come on!" Rhodey yelled as the truck landed and exploded, heat waves brushing past us.

"Oh man, I thought it was a water truck. Uh...sorry," Scott fumbled out the apology as we turned and ran away, using the distraction to our advantage.