Chapter Thirteen

Tony sighed.

"A few years ago, I almost lost her, so I trashed all my suits. Then we had to mop up HYDRA...then Ultron. My fault. And then, and then, and then, I never stopped. Because the truth is I don't wanna stop. I don't wanna lose her. I thought the Accords could split the difference," Tony stood up and paced the length of the glass walled room. Steve sat at the table, trying to listen completely to Tony, but his mind was drifting to other matters.

Keight type matters.

It wasn't like the other times his head had been filled with her. Usually it was after a nightmare, and he couldn't stop seeing her so hurt and lost. Or during games night, when she looked so happy when she smiled, even if it was fake. Or the one time he and seen her wear a dress, and for some reason couldn't get the image of her in it out of his head.

This time it was confusion, doubt and anger, thoughts he had never fully associated with her before, but with the events that had transpired were now floating in his mind.

"In her defence, I'm a handful. Yet, Dad was a pain in the ass, but he and mom always made it work," Tony kept pacing, his anxiety running high. He was worried about Keight too, or at least she was on his mind for some reason. They were almost father and daughter, although rich uncle and rebellious niece might have been a better description.

"You know, I'm glad Howard got married. I only knew him when he was young, and single," Steve said, trying to stay with the conversation. Tony spun around.

"Oh, really? You two knew each other? He never mentioned that. Maybe only a thousand times," sarcasm dripped with every word. "God, I hated you."

"I don't mean to make things difficult," Steve said. And he meant it. Tony was always bitter about the fact that he thought his father loved Steve more than him, but he never stopped to think about how guilty it made Steve feel, even when he knew it wasn't true.

"I know, because you're a very polite person," Tony said bitterly. Steve shrugged.

"If I see a situation pointed south....I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could."

"No you don't," Tony said pointedly. Steve smiled thinly.

"No, I don't. Sometimes..."

"Sometimes I want to punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych centre... and not a Wakandan prison." Tony said, looking at him. Steve picked up one of the pens on the table and frowned.

"I'm not saying it would be impossible, but there would have to be safeguards," Steve said, his mind trying to run one track but splitting into three, Tony, then Bucky, then Keight.

"Sure. Once we put out the PR file, those documents can be amended. I'll file a motion to have you and Wanda reinstated..."

"Wanda? What about Wanda?" Steve sat up straighter, and his brow furrowed.

"She fine. She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision is keeping her company," Tony said dismissively. Steve shook his head.

"Oh god Tony! Every time. Every time I think you see things the right way..."

"What? Its 100 acres with a lap pool. There's a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people."

"Protection? Is that how you see this? Is this protection? It's internment, Tony," Steve said, shaking his head and looking at Tony coldly.

"She's not a US citizen. And neither is Keight," Tony said defensively.

"Oh, come on Tony."

"And they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction, which is what both of those woman are capable off!" Tony continued.