Chapter Eleven

My legs dangled precariously off the edge of the rooftop. I was, normally, terrified of heights, but knowing Sam Wilson was there to save you if you fell kinda made you feel safer.

Steve had gone into Bucky’s small apartment, the building we were on, and Sam and I watched intently for any sign of either Bucky, or the CIA. We expected a shootout, naturally, so Sam’s guns were loaded, and I had just pumped myself full of poison for the inevitable fight.

“See anything?” Sam asked me. I raised an eyebrow.

“Aren’t you the one with the fancy goggle things?” I replied. He looked down at me.

“Yeah, but you’ve got enhanced alien vision or something, right?” I swatted his leg, and he jumped out of the way. “Ow, I’m just saying!”

“Quit it you two. I need to focus,” Steve said through the comms. I popped open my hip flask and took a long swig. I glanced up to see Sam glaring at me.

You shouldn’t be drinking on the job, his eyes said.

Considering the situation, I think I can do whatever the hell I want, mine replied.

What Sam would have said after that, I don’t know, across the block, approaching on the south were two black armoured trucks. I patted Sam’s leg.

“There, on the south side. Who are they?” I said, standing up, making sure my hood was pulled up and my mask was on.

“Heads up Cap. German Special Forces, approaching from the South,” Sam said, one hand on his comms, the other gripping one of his guns.

“Understood,” Steve replied. I dusted off my pants and clipped my flask back onto my belt.

“Do we wait?” I asked, scanning. The black armour clad men were creating a perimeter around the apartment.

“They’re set the perimeter,” Sam said into his comms. No reply

“They’re entering the building,” Sam said, more urgent now as the men began to file in. I chewed the inside of my lip, nervous somehow. I was rarely nervous on a mission, but it may have been because I was finally going to meet the Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier, the man everyone else had seen in person except me. There was something vaguely familiar and somehow disturbing about him, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

Behind us, the roof door banged open and armoured men swarmed the rooftop, surrounding us.

“They’re on the roof. We’re compromised,” Sam said in his comms.

“GO!” I yelled at Sam, and he flew away as the men approached.

“Dammit Rogers get him out of there!” I shouted, before swinging the first punch.

“Five seconds!” Sam said, circling and watching the men.

“Three seconds!” Sam was desperate now.

“BREACH BREACH BREACH!” A small metal cylinder smashed through the window of the apartment, and a muffled boom sounded from within.

I continued to fight off the men on the roof, all the while hearing the sound of the battle going on inside. Suddenly, a black backpack flew out the window and landed on the lower roof of the neighbouring building. Not long after, a tall, broad man with scraggly brown hair and dark stubble joined it, smashing onto the roof and picking up the bag.

Bucky.

Before I could say anything, a muscular man, clad all in black with pointed ears and silver hands smashed into Bucky from behind, knocking him down.