o n e

[E D I T E D... barely]

PEACE OF MIND
life is simply a mix of mayhem and magnolias, so embrace this gentle riot and gather flowers along the way.

01. Dancing with the Dead

im not going to lie. i haven't edited this. my brain is numb. this is a 3600 word pile of horse shit. really did just write what came into my head and left it to that. ill probs read this tomorrow and cry so read at your own discretion and expect disappointment, confusing sentences, and random tense changes. i honestly apologise for the amount of waffle in the chapter.

❝And who may you be, child?❞

And who may you be, child?

She's in a field. Almost as though woken from a deep slumber, she is walking with a bones-deep idleness towards the horizon, and no memory of ever beginning said journey. It's only with a jolt, that Elizabeth is snapped back into her own body. Hands swaying unsteady by her side, fingers delicately kissing the tops of rough harvest, her entire weight is caught momentarily off balance. Pupils constricting. Breath stuttering. She could have sworn she hadn't been standing the last time she'd closed her eyes. Yet here she was, upright, when they opened.

There is a man ahead of her in this field. Elizabeth wanted to look behind her, to see where she'd been walking from, but no. It's not that she couldn't. She could. She could do it. Inch her head and see, but every time she went to, the memory fizzled into smoke. What's behind you? What isn't behind you? There was someone missing. A man. Eyebrows furrowed, Elizabeth thinks, and thinks, and thinks. There is a man missing to this scene. Who? He felt important. Why? She's still walking forwards. She's walking towards a man. When did he get there? Was he here all along, watching? The man is looking behind her with a pensive expression. What's behind you? Why am I still walking?

It is only when she is standing near nose to nose with the man, that Elizabeth stops walking.

The man is not who she'd expected. She didn't know quite who she had been expecting, but it wasn't this young man in front of her. He was around father's age facially. Father. Loki. That's who was missing. Where was he? Elizabeth falters again. How could I have forgotten about Loki? The man in front of her frowns down in disgusted confusion before letting out a noice of realisation. He waves a large, tanned, hand ever so gently down Elizabeth's temple, Elizabeth too deep in her own mind to barely register the unwanted touch, before- oh. Oh.

She remembers now. Katherine going missing. Talking with Loki. Leaving the Avengers. I'm so sorry, Tony. Entering a world of clouds. It was like a dream. Skies so blue, clouds caressing her feet, the foreign safety of being besides a God, the air so thin she could barely... breathe. She couldn't breathe. She remembers now. Throat bleeding red from nails clawing so desperately for air, a God at her side in blind panic, senses shutting down, organs shutting down, copper on her tongue, and skin burning blue. Then black. A black so desired that Elizabeth's last thoughts were begging for the bliss of Death. Death. Am I dea-