CHAPTER 22 - FOLLOW THE SOUND

Start from the beginning

  The crowd gasped yet again as many screamed. The young woman who had shouted out earlier gaping at the scene. 

  "YuLin!" A Li screamed, just as he was about to chase after him, a hand dropped heavily to his shoulder as a voice spoke out.

  "What the hell 's happened here, kid? Where's the idi- YuLin?"

  YuLin tied the wet piece of cloth around his head, covering his mouth and nose as he held another one in his hands.

  He ran towards the stairs, avoiding falling debris at every turn, angry burn marks appearing where he'd been hit. His cloth was drying fast, and he began coughing with each breath.

  When he made it halfway up the stairs, he turned to see the stairs behind had completely collapsed.

  No going back then...

  He continued up and up until he made it to the third floor. There, he banged on every door, shouting with a hoarse voice, choking on the smoke.

  "Little girl! little girl! Your sister is waiting for you, where are you!?"

  YuLin kept searching the rooms until he heard a scream come from the end of the hallway, he darted out one of the rooms and raced there, kicking open the door. He scanned the room frantically until his eyes found a small figure huddled by the closet, wearing what must've been a white dress, but was now covered in dust. 

  YuLin ran over and crouched in front of her.

  "Little girl, I'm here to help. Can you tell me your name?" YuLin asked as he lifted the young girl's snot and tear covered face.

  She coughed as she replied, "Ya-YaYao..."

  YuLin stroked her hair and said, "Ok YaYao, listen carefully, you're going to be just fine. I'm going to tie this cloth around your nose OK? It'll make breathing easier." He tied the cloth then smiled at her with his eyes, "There, better? Now let's find a way out."

  YaYao's eyes filled with a new tank of tears as she shot forwards and hugged YuLin's throat tightly.

  YuLin patted her back before picking her up. He didn't bother leaving the room to find an exit, knowing that half the stairs had already collapsed. Instead, he walked straight to the windows.

  YaYao saw this and mumbled, "Gege... I'm scared of heights!"

  YuLin could hear the immense fear in the girl's voice. "Shh... It's Ok, You're so smart guessing what I'm about to do. Gege's friend will help you down. Do you trust me?" He asked, tapping YaYao's nose.

  YaYao looked at YuLin, and nodded.

  "Good girl."

  YuLin stepped back, raised a leg and kicked the wooden shafted windows right of its hinges.

  The people below exclaimed as smoke began flowing out a new place and a window smashed out of no where, when YuLin peaked his head out with the little girl, the woman screamed.

  "YaYao!" and the crowd shouted excitedly.

  "But wait! That's the third floor!"

  "Right right, it's too high to drop a little girl!"

  YuLin ignored the chatter and sat the girl on the window sill, causing many to grasp.

  "Quick quick! have people under, ready to catch, it seems like there's no other way!"

  Many rushed below the sill and extended their hands, yet YuLin still ignored them. Raising one hand and placing two fingers in his mouth, he whistled a shrill, yet clear tune.