(45): Family Background

Start from the beginning

Oh no.

"Where do I begin?" He says nervously, absentmindedly toying with his fingers "Okay well my dad is in prison for assault"

We all gape. Except Kat obviously.

"Dude" Nick breathes, eyes wide.

"Yeah" Nathan nods softly "Uh, he used to abuse my mom and I a few years back. He would come home drunk and beat the both of us up. My mom would always try to protect me but he'd get angry and eventually find his way to me."

By now tears are forming in my eyes.

"Nathan" I croak.

"We couldn't lay charges because he'd threaten to kill my mom. I hate to admit it, but I really believed the guy; he was fucking crazy. After a while I had enough and finally did it. Luckily it was one of those rare times he'd allow my mom to be out of town for a family visit so she wasn't in harms way. He was arrested a day later and is currently serving his time"

"Nathan" Winnie sniffs.

All the girls are crying. Nick just has a huge frown on his face, his eyes soft.

"Don't cry" He comforts nervously.

I wipe the tears from my face "Uhm, when did this happen?"

"The arrest happened senior year" He says.

"You mean the year you finally lost your virginity?" Nick jokes trying to make the mood lighter and it kind of works because we all end up laughing softly.

"I think we all need a group hug after that" Kat announces her arms spread.

We shrug before doing that. The ones who were on the couch join the rest of us on the floor. My arms are around Winnie and Nick since they're on each side of me and all of our heads are against each other. The boys still stink but I ignore it because I don't want to ruin the moment.

"Chels, say your line" Nick muffles.

"I love you guys" I grin happily.

"Love you too" They choir back against each other causing all of us to laugh happily.

"Uh, what's happening?"

We pull back when we're interrupted by Kyle's voice which sounds very confused.

"You missed out on the group hug" Nick tells him as he walks closer to us.

"Thank goodness" He mutters.

We all shoot daggers at him. He actually missed a lot. His eyes linger on me because I think he notices that I've been crying but he doesn't say anything. I wonder if he knows about Nathan's story.

"Hey, who's red Mercedes is parked outside? I've never seen it" Nathan asks as he stands up and sits on the couch next to Kyle.

"Mine" Winnie grins sheepishly.

"Winona, you got a car?" Kyle gapes looking surprised.

She nods "It was a birthday gift"

"Lucky, huh?" I tease smiling at her.

"I need an upgrade" Kat complains pouting. She has a BMW so I don't know what her problem is.

"Kathrine, you can't even drive" Nick deadpans.

"I can too" She defends loudly.

"So am I the only one who doesn't have a car now?" I ask looking around and they all nod as they laugh at me.

"You could've asked your dad for one a long time ago" Kat shrugs.

"Yeah. Doesn't he like give you a shit ton of money?" Winnie adds.