Chapter Twenty One

Four weeks. Four long weeks and he couldn't forget her. He had tried hard too.He had continually told himself that it was for the best. She needed to be safe. There was more to what was going on than he had ever expected and in order to keep her safe he had to push her away. It seemed like a cliche romantic novel but he couldn't change it. He couldn't afford to make her a target not when he felt this way about her.

He had thought he could walk away and never look back but that was a huge lie. He folded his arms and leaned against the wall behind him as he watched her walk out of her apartment.

Four weeks and he still wanted her back in his life. He wanted her smile and her laugh. The way her eyes shined while she listened to him. The way she leaned in towards him like she wanted to be so much more closer to him. He missed her like he did not think was possible. He missed her so much he couldn't pay attention anywhere else. He was sure his people had noticed but he couldn't seem to keep his mind on what he had thought was important to him.

He still knew that he didn't deserve her. He couldn't protect her and the main reason why he had let her go was because he thought he was too consumed by revenge to take care of her. He had almost killed his father in front of her. The fear in her eyes when he had turned to her made his heart hurt. He hadn't wanted her to be scared of him but if he was still harboring the pain in his heart, he couldn't allow her to suffer with him.

He leaned back on the wall behind him, watching as she worked in her aunt's bakery. She looked so beautiful. He wasn't sure anymore if he had made the right decision letting her go. He wanted to walk inside and take her back with him. He wanted to tell her that he didn't want to be without her. That he didn't know if it was love but he wanted to find out. He wanted to experience what he felt with her again. He felt empty without her. Even with his father finally out of the picture, he didn't feel as content as he had thought he would be and it was all because of her.

"If you stare so hard, she might combust." Fallon commented as he joined Trystan. The glare that was given by Trystan made him laugh. "You didn't think we would know where you went?"

"We?"

"Well you didn't think I would let myself be left behind." Keith walked to him from Fallon"s left grinning.

"What are you two doing here?" The question was asked impatiently.

" Well Trystan, we figured you were gonna come see her. You've been acting like a lovesick puppy and everyone has noticed."

"Even me." Another recognizable voice stated, drawing the there's attention.

"Van de Molen." Trystan stated in shock. The sight of the grey haired man who had saved them and raised them as his own walking towards them made Trystan groan. "Don't tell me you followed me too."

"We did. I'm surprised you didn't notice." Dean stepped out from behind Van de Molen. That was what made Trystan snap.

" How many of you just decided to track my movements?"

"Just the four of us. We needed to make sure you didn't do anything rash." Van de Molen rested his hand on Trystan's shoulder. "I've been worried about you. Imagine my surprise finding out that it's because of a woman."

"Well, now that you know, can you just leave me alone?"

"I'm sorry, Trystan, but consider this an intervention. We are tired of you moping around. You have to go talk to her." Keith rolled his eyes as he spoke

"I can't and I won't. She needs to be away from me. I'm not good for her. I can't put her in our situation." Trystan argued as his eyes fell back on Kaia. He spotted one of her smiled but it looked subdued. He realized that she didn't look like herself. She looked sad. Was that because of him?

" For so long, I've been consumed by getting revenge. The hate that I harbored in my hate is hard to deal with and just because he's been captured doesn't mean it's all gone."

"You know, son, I've always felt like this day would never come." Van de Molen pulled Trystan into a hug that left all of them stunned. Not only had he never called any one them son but the only time he had hugged them was when he had taken them from the hospital. "For so many years, I wanted to kill John. Not only for hurting your mother but for hurting all of you. He affected your lives in many different ways and I wanted to destroy him. I raise now that I should have never allowed you to get involved in destroying him." Van de Molen pulled back. " I watched you grow up and I hoped I could help you deal with your past but I made it consume you. For that I am very sorry. But this woman, she pulled you out. You got distracted for the first time ever and you cared about yourself and how you felt. You didn't want to destroy, you just wanted to love and I want to thank her for that. The biggest regret I've carried with me is that I didn't save your mother, the love of my life. I thought that by letting her go, I was doing her a favor but I let her go into his arms and I caused her death. Dont make my mistake and go to her."

Trystan felt tears form but he refused to let them out.
"No, I can't. She's fine without me. She's happy."

"You damn idiot, my niece has been in pain for four weeks." Everyone turned to face Candace Reed's angry face. "You think she's happy? Can you not see how heartbroken she is? She's hiding herself behind the belief that she's okay but she's not. I know you're not good enough for her but for some reason she likes you. She loves you and if you dont make thos right, I will kill you."

" I dont-,"

"Shut up, Trystan. Your father did a number on all of us but we survived. We built our lives and made it into something we're proud of. If you let him keep you away from the woman that makes you happy then you're letting him win." Dean let his words wash over Trystan as Fallon placed his hand on Trystan's shoulder like Van de Molen had done.

" He's right, brother. You either go in there by yourself or we'll drag you in there. It's time you stop letting him choose your life for you."

And so Trystan moved.