The Fallen Prince - Loki (Ilse_writes)

Story: The Fallen Prince
Author: ilse_writes

Fandom: Marvel
Ship: OC/Loki
Status: Completed
Chapters: 31

Summary:
While Thor is meant to take over the throne of Asgard, Odin wants Loki to play an important role in keeping the peace between the realms. Only, that role is that of the husband in an arranged marriage. Not something Loki had in mind... Of course, the God of Mischief does what he wants!

The prince of Asgard discovers two things: love and his true parentage, both of which lead to catastrophic events.

. . .

Writing style ​​☆☆☆☆
Originality ☆☆
Characters ☆☆☆
Flow and tension ☆☆
Plot ☆☆☆

. . .

Writing style

The chapters of this book aren't too short, nor too long and read smooth. My English leaves to be desired, but I didn't spot any grammar mistakes or weird sentences. Good descriptions of locations and feelings draw you into the story and since the story line sticks so close to the movie, it's even easier to picture yourself like you're actually in it.

. . .

Originality

The author wanted to stick to the original story line of the first Thor movie, in which she succeeded very well. By adding some (good) twists she made the story her own, but nevertheless I would have liked her additions to cause a bigger change in the original story line. Now and then conversations where literally copied from the screenplay, which bored me and also felt a little forced now and then.

. . .

Characters

The author did a good job in picturing the characters we all know from the movies, often in such an excellent way that I could literally hear them talk. She obviously knew the characters and it's a gift that she somehow caught their voices and transferred them to her own versions of the characters. Furthermore I really liked the balance between Loki's dark side, his insecurities and his new gentle side.

Contrary to Loki, the Mirilya was barely developed. The fact that she was born on Alfheim excited me; not much is known about that planet in the Marvel universe and I really wished the autho had explored her background a bit more. Them being from different cultures was an interesting thing and I think the author didn't explore that to its fullest potential.

. . .

Flow and tension

I really enjoyed the first couple of chapters, but halfway the book my attention drifted away. However, I'm the type of reader who needs a lot of drama to remain focused, but others might like the slow build up. The slower parts were used to develop the relationship between Mirilya and Loki, but for me it was too long-winded and I didn't feel much chemistry between the two, which wasn't helpful either. 😉

Despite the slow middle part, I loved the last chapters and I would really recommend to read on until you're past the slow pieces. It was a rollercoaster of emotions and the ending surely made up for the criticism above.

. . .

Plot

As mentioned above, the plot wasn't very renewing and the OC's are easy to forget. However, the author absolutely showed skill by intertwining her own ideas with the original story line; I can image it was hard to piece everything together. She wasn't afraid to make some bold choices and I have no doubt that she knew very well what she was doing. Especially readers who loved to read stories that stay close to the original story line will enjoy 'The Fallen Prince', but I myself am more curious to her other work in which she stepped away from the movie script. 

. . .