Family Matters (PBBWriter)

Story: Family Matters
Author: PBBWriter
Fandom: Sons of Anarchy
Ships: Happy/OC, OC/?

Status: Completed
Chapters: 30

Summary:
When Ellie Lowman reconnects with her brother, for more than a simple phone call or visit, after years of distance they'll both get thrown into a whirlwind of epic proportions. Happy's little sister not only brings her own brand trouble to town but gets sucked into the betrayal and lies of others. Will his two families, blood and leather, get along and fight through to a peaceful ending or will it all crumble around them?

. . .

Writing style ​​☆☆☆
Originality ☆☆☆☆
Characters ☆☆☆☆
Flow and tension ☆☆☆☆☆
Plot ☆☆☆☆☆

. . .

Writing style

The author has a nice, well understandable writing style. She definitely wanted to tell the story without a losing herself in a beautiful descriptions and stayed to the point. I like to be surprised by beautiful sentences now and then so it felt like the story lacked a little bit of magic, but I have no doubt there are a lot of readers who appreciated this no nonsense style. 

Although she uses different point of views to tell her story, the parts are well separated and keep the story organized. The story is mainly led by actions and dialogues; a little more attention to the thoughts and feelings of the characters may have created an even more intense experience. 

. . .

Originality

Using the family member of one of the Sons is the easiest way to introduce a new character, and this author uses this cliché too. It's not the most interesting angle, and it's neither the first time that Happy's sister turns out to be working in a shady branch. However, the author uses these clichés in a good way: it's not just a method to write a new character into the story, but her relationship with Happy is a core element, ultimately affecting the whole club. Other ways in which the author distances herself from other authors is by coming up with some great characters and creating her own story line. 

. . .

Characters

There were a few characters in this story I'm a big fan of! Ellie herself isn't an uninteresting character, but I had the feeling she shared a lot of similarities with OC's from her other stories. It felt like all these women were coming from the same mold, and although Ellie had a strong personality and I liked reading about her, it's her ex-boyfriend Bastian and Rory who really found a way into my heart. (Note: I have only read four stories of this author so it's possible only these characters felt a little similar.)

Anyway, my compliments for the villain of this story – what a great character. He's definitely dark, but also charming and not completely heartless. I have to admit I was secretly rooting for this guy – and making someone cheer for the villain is definitely proof of good writing.

The assassin Rory is very interesting as well – man, what a woman. She is super bad ass, but it's not over the top. The chemistry between Happy and her is amazing and she has a good background story. Although it isn't the easiest character to write with, the author keeps her behavior believable during the chapters – which, by the way, can be said about all characters. 

. . .

Flow and tension

This book is definitely worth binge-reading. It's full of suspense and you're curious to how the story develops the whole time. The author succeeds in adding different types of tension, so it's no overkill and it keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. 

. . .

Plot

Forgetting about the original story line and coming up with something new is always a bold move, but oh, it's so amazing when it works out well! This story is filled with twists, powerful characters bring the story to life and despite the moderate emotional descriptions now and then, the reader is concerned with everyone.

The story is well-structured; there's a smooth start with the introduction of the problem, there's a good tension span in the middle part and things are finished up well. Unfortunately not all things played out like I'd liked to see them, but after reading the sequel I understand the author's choices. The sequel is worth reading as well, although sadly it's never finished. 

. . .