⤷ do's and dont's pt. 1

Something that's very important to remember when writing a The Society fanfiction is keeping the essence of the canon characters. While what sets your story apart is the uniqueness of your OC, it's essential to remember not to skew the storyline or the characters too much. From my experience of reading fanfiction of all varieties, I've noticed that people tend to push their personal beliefs into their stories, which isn't always the best approach.

When writing fanfiction, it's important to set your personal opinions aside and get into the headspace of your OC. No one likes everyone, but you need to make sure that your OC's feelings towards another character are justified, and don't just stem from your own personal feelings towards that character. Here's a few things to remember when writing interactions with various characters:

ALLIE PRESSMAN

as 'THE LEADER BITCH'

A problem I have seen with Allie's characterization is the tendency to villainize her. I think it most likely stems from her role as leader throughout a majority of the season as well as her chemistry with Harry. If your fanfiction is one with Harry as the love interest, I think it would be easy to accidentally make conflict between the two.

While conflict is fine, it's important to remember that these are kids in high school. Maybe your OC wouldn't like Allie simply out of jealousy, similarly to Lexie's dislike of her. But, if you think your character wouldn't have a problem with her past with Harry or her being leader, then there probably shouldn't be any reason Allie is written negatively.

Throughout the series, most canon characters are seen getting along with Allie. She isn't perfect, because no one is, so obviously, I'm not suggesting your OC should always agree with her, but she also shouldn't just blindly despise her. I get very confused when I read a fanfiction where Allie is simply rude and in charge and the OC just doesn't like her because, to me, there's no reason that should be the case.

Remember, these are all kids who went to high school with one another. There will be tension, bad blood, and bad memories. It's okay if your OC doesn't like her, but make sure it's justified and explained why. Don't make Allie an out of character bitch for the sake of the story.

as 'THE PERFECT ONE'

On the flip side of my previous statement, Allie isn't always the most likable. She can be hotheaded, rash, and she can lash out. She handled the situation between Lexie and the guard poorly. Your OC most likely wouldn't be a blind follower of hers.

Even if your OC has been best friends with Allie forever, they won't always agree with her or her actions. There's no point in writing a character who blindly agrees with everything Allie does/says, even if you stan her, because sometimes she was wrong. It's okay for your character to disagree with her, for them to argue, etc.

It's completely unrealistic for your OC to always be on Allie's side. If they're close, I think it's believable that they would argue and disagree. If they're not close, don't make your character all knowing and have them follow Allie through anything.

For example, If they're unaware of the coup, they should question Allie and Will. Everyone in the town was told that they were corrupt, and your OC should either believe that or be skeptical, like Helena. There's no reason your OC should just blindly believe them just because you, as the author, know they're innocent.